body

How not to make a Banana Loaf cake......

Should have been, could have been Banana Chocolate chip loaf cake

When I make Banana muffin's or Loaf for myself I always use an vegetable oil based recipe.  However this time the loaf cake was for a friend, so I was making a full Dairy version using a butter based recipe.

Should have been simple.  I creamed the butter and sugar together as normal, added the banana, yogurt and flour.  Then folded in the chocolate chips.  Batter looked and smelt great.  I thought I'd learnt from my mistake last week.

I'd made one at the Pantry last week that had sunk, thought at the time it was due to the temp of the oven being to high.  This recipe had a lower temp and longer bake time.  What could go wrong!!!  History repeated itself.  In this case my mistake was taking the cake out too soon to check if it was cooked.  Even though I returned it too the oven it was too late.....as you can see from the above result. 

I ended up with a mushy mess of a cake, which needed to be binned.  No way I was giving it to my friend and there was no way I could eat it myself.   I hate wasting ingredients, which leads me onto today's baking tip. 

Baking tip:  When trying a new recipe, where possible 1/2 the ingredient amounts and make a smaller batch for testing.  By reducing the amount of batter, you'll save your self some money if the recipe bombs and is totally inedible.   Better to throw out 6 muffins than a dozen.  

Like Goldilocks and the 3 bears, one oven was too hot. The second oven was too cold, here's hoping the next oven is just right. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding