body

Basic biscuit/cookie recipe -


Something from a lot of nothing


I made a small batch of vegan Lemon Curd yesterday, unfortunelty I made it too thick.  The plan had been to use it to flavour my Soy yogurt for breakfast.  I hate anything going to waste, so I needed to find something I could do with it.  

Today is also not one of my good days, forgot to re-order my pills from the doctor and run out this morning.  I also have a large red spot on my chin, not an attractive look.    In times like this there is only one thing that can be done, BAKE....

Basic Biscuit/cookie Recipe

4 oz Dairy free margerine
2-4 oz caster Sugar (depending on your own taste)
1 egg or egg substitute (Linseed/flaxseed egg subb)
8 oz Flour
soy milk to mix if required

Using an electric food mixer Cream Marg and sugar together for a few minutes.  Next add a small amount of flour along with egg or subsitute.  (This will stop the mix curdling)
Slowly add rest of flour till the mix starts to form a ball of dough.  If not use a little soy milk or your prefered alternative. 

Place dough in fridge to rest for 30 mins, and pre-heat your oven too 180 celcius. 
Once rested form into walnut sized balls, place on a greased baking sheet and press down to form a cookie shape. (Wetting your hands with cold water helps to stop the dough sticking to your fingers)

Bake for 12-15 minutes and cool on a wire rack.

This a recipe from my grandma's good housekeeping cook book, with some of my own adjustments.

It's great having a good base recipe that you can adjust depending on your mood, or what ever you have to hand.  I used the Vegan lemon curd as an egg substitute. I then swapped out 2 oz of flour for Oats and added a dessert spoon of poppy seeds. I normally make my Lemon and poppy seed cookies with the zest of 1/2 a lemon added to my basic cookie recipe.  Lemon curd should work just as well. 

Once you have a Basic biscuit/cookie recipe (I call them cookies, but my brother argues there biscuits!!!) you can create lots of different versions from the same recipe

Alternatives

- Swap 1 oz of the flour and replace with 1 oz of Cocoa powder for Chocolate cookies.
- Swap 1 oz of the flour and replace with desicatted coconut for coconut cookies
- Add the zest of 1/2 a lemon  for a lemon cookie. With or without  1 tbsp of poppy seeds
- Add 1 tsp vanilla Extract for Vanilla cookies
- Use a mashed banana as an egg substitute and add 1 oz of Chocolate chips for chocolate chip banana cookies
- Replace 2 oz of flour for oats and add 2 oz of raisins to make Oat and Raisin Cookies

Or just make up some of your own variations, that's the best bit about home baking.  It's made to your tastes and your budget xxx













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding