body

Bakewell tart inspired cup cakes or Dangerous when bored




A side effect of having anxiety is that I don't deal with boredom very well...... This may be a slight under statement. I get fidgety, and need something to do.  Which is usually cooking or baking, though I have been know to go on a cleaning spree as well.  Then there was the random items I'd order on line that I really didn't need...........You get the drift.

So when I woke up yesterday morning at 6am, after dreaming about Bakewell Tart Cupcakes I just had to try making some. The classic Bakewell is a pastry shell, spread with jam, then topped with an almond cake before being sprinkled with sliced almonds and baked.  

 As always I do my research first, usually on the web.  Found nothing like the concept I was thinking of, until I remembered one of my favourite cook books.  Vegan Cup cakes Take over the world.  This was also the very first Vegan cook book i bought after having to give up Dairy.

They inspired me to bake both egg and dairy free.  I'm lactose intolerant not Vegan, but Free range eggs are one of the few sources of protein I have left so I'd rather use them as a component of a  main meal. 

I adjusted their recipe for Apricot Glazed Almond Cupcakes.  I switched the apricot preserves for Strawberry and left off the glaze.  I also like to make 9 Large Cupcakes rather than the batch of 12 recommended.

I ate the remaining tasty batter from the bowl, while my oven wafted the lovely sent of almonds round my kitchen.  I wasn't disappointed they tasted even better baked. Even though these Cup cakes are totally vegan the almonds give the cake a wonderful buttery taste 

All they needed to be truly scrumptious, was the glaze topping of jam and sliced almonds that Id left off from the recipe.  Being bored can be dangerous, I'm just glad that this time it turned out okay xxx 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding