body

Chunky Monkey cookie - Take 2


Fresh from the Oven

When ever I'm in doubt I head back to my Grandma's cookbook.  I found a basic biscuit/cookie recipe and modified it to meet my dietary restrictions.  This gave me a chance to try out a new ingredient Trex, a non hydrogenated vegetable oil in block form.  I used this instead of butter.   Iv also been looking at a few articles on Diabetes to get idea's on how to reduce sugar in baking.  So i decided to try  reducing the amount of sugar in the original recipe by half. 

As you can see from the picture I got slightly carried away and made the first batch too big.  They spread in the oven and ended up the size of the palm of my hand!!!  But the smell  mmm, as soon as I opened the oven door the kitchen was filled with the scent of coconut. 

So they looked right and smelt right, I only had to get the taste right.  Thankfully they did.  Crumbly, light and tropical tasting goodness. 




Chunky Monkey cookie recipe

4 oz - Vegetable Margerine or shortening
2 oz - Caster Sugar
1/2 Banana - mashed
7 oz - Flour
1 oz  - Desiccated coconut
1 oz - Dairy free chocolate chips
1 oz - Dried dates - chopped
Soy Milk to mix

Pre-heat oven too - 180 celcius

Measure out the veg marg and the sugar into a bowl, using a electric mixer beat till the mix is light and fluffy. Add the mashed banana. 

Measure out Flour and Desiccated coconut, mix together. Continue using your mixer slowely add the flour in stages, allowing it to fullly mix in before adding more.  This saves your kitchen becoming covered in flour.   Add the chopped dates and finally a little milk if required.   Stop the blender once the mix turns into a dough.  ( See photo above) You may need to use your hands to form the dough into a ball.  Place in fridge for 30 mins to chill before baking

Take a piece of dough and roll into a ball.  Size is up too you, just remember they will spread once baked.  Place on baking tray and flatten down.  Then press the chocolate chips into the top of the cookie.  Bake in the oven for 10 - 15 mins.  The larger your cookies, the longer the bake will take.

They taste great, I had to freeze them as soon as they were cooled to save myself eating them all. 

Reducing the amount of sugar in the orginal recipe by half worked.  I recomended trying it with your own favourite recipes, and let me know how you get on xxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding