body

Giant Cookie

Sharabelle and the Giant Cookie experiment


I love trying out new recipe idea's and any excuse will do really.  My excuse this time is the amount of family birthdays coming up over the next few months.  I like coming up with original present idea's. 

 My niece's and nephew's either eat a birthday cake and leave the icing or eat the icing and leave the cake.  Which would be okay if you could give one of them the cake that's been licked clean of frosting.  Solution - make them Giant Birthday cookies instead.  The idea being that i can customise the flavour and added contents based on each kids favourite treats.  For my test recipe I went with basic chocolate chip. 

Pretty simple or so I thought.  I made a batch of dough as normal and left to rest in the fridge for 30 Min's.  Then molded it on a greased cookie sheet to form an 9in circle. 

First problem - Cooking time.  How long does a giant cookie take to bake?  I went for 30 Min's.

Second problem - Forgot that cookies spread when baked.  Lucky for me it only spread 2 inches and didn't fall of the baking sheet.

Third problem - Exactly how do you get a giant cookie off a baking sheet once baked?  I loosened it off and flipped it over on to a plate.  I realised the cookie was still soft in the middle and needed to go back into the oven for a further 10 mins. The second time moving the cookie, I got out a clean tea towel placed it on my wire rack and used this to flip it over instead of a plate.  Worked a lot better this way. 

Fourth Problem - How do you store a giant cookie?  Funny the things you don't think about when you bake a recipe!!  Since a giant cookie takes a long time to cool , I had a lot of time to figure this out.  I have a cake carry box, with a flat base and domed lid.  Perfect for storing the cookie.  Also works for freezing giant cookies, just use the base to stablise it and cover in tin foil or cling film. 

My friend Lesley and her husband are going to taste test this one for me, since it's a full dairy recipe.  The smell was incrediable so I hope it passes the taste test.  I'll keep you posted on this one.  If it does, I post the recipe.  Lol, including all the possible problems that normal recipes don't think to tell you xxx
 








Comments

  1. Giant cookie passed the taste test. My Friend Lesley and her son Graham both liked it. Lol, "it's worth getting fat for" was the text I got xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding