body

IBS - Healthy Living guide



I was diagnosed with IBS over 20 years ago.  I was in my early 20's I didn't realise at the time how much my life was going to change.  All I got was a leaflet from my Doctor and advice on keeping a food diary to find my triggers.  As Ive gotten older the symptoms have gotten worse, another bit of information they don't tell you in the beginning.  I've done a lot of research over the years and know how confusing it can be to work out why your symptoms have triggered.  So I've tried to come up with an easy guide to simplify the advice that I have found helpful.  

1. EMERGENCY SUPPLIES

Always have a bottle of water and an emergency snack with you.  So the next time there's a traffic Jam or you can't find any where to eat, your are already prepared.  I also carry Peppermint tea bags with me, a bit strange I know.  However not everyone has herbal tea bags, and I don't want my friends to feel bad if they don't have any.

Healthy snacks
- Fruit, baked crisps, baked popcorn, healthy low sugar cereal bar, granola bar.   


2. BREAKFAST

It really is the most important meal of the day.  I need to eat at least an hour after I wake.  My mum can't eat till later in the morning because she feels nauseous.  So she has brunch instead.  Try to avoid smoothies in the morning, you would be better putting the  fruit in a bowl, and top with yogurt instead.  Blitzing the fruit breaks down the fibre, eating it whole is better for your digestive system.

Breaking the fast - is where the word breakfast comes from.  That's why it's such an important time of day to eat.  

3. LITTLE AND OFTEN

It's better eating little and often when you have IBS.  That way you always have food in your digestive system.  I try to aim for 3 meals and 2 snacks a day.  Try not to go longer than 4 hours before eating.  

The IBS Network
  • "And remember, the sensitive gut will not tolerate too much food. Eat to comfort and if this means that you can’t eat a lot at each meal, eat little and often."

4. DRINK PLENTY LIQUID

Non alcoholic of course!!!  Water is as important as food in maintaining a healthy digestive system.  Health advice suggests we drink at least 8 mugs of water a day.  Decaf coffee, tea, herbal tea and diluted drinks all count towards it.   If you like caffeine try to just have it in the morning, it's a stimulant and not great for those of us with a digestive disorder.

Nutrition - Healthy Hydration

5. 80% GOOD 20% BAD

Healthy diet advice is often conflicting and confusing.  I find the 80% Good 20% Bad concept the most useful.  Processed, high sugar and fatty food are all triggers for IBS.  However we don't need to cut them out entirely.  I think of them as treats, eaten only occasionally.

HEALTH - Eating healthy doesn't mean being perfect

6. 5 FRUIT AND VEG A DAY

Another target given as advice from medical and health professionals.  However if you have IBS this is not always possible.  Eating to much fruit and veg, could trigger your symptoms.  Remember this is just a target, for people to aim for.  I try and aim for at least one portion per meal.  

NHS - 5 a day what counts?

7. EXERCISE

Health advice recommends aiming for 3 x 30mins cardio sessions a week.  Do you know that housework counts towards your aim. Think about how often you get out of breath doing normal household chores.  Walking is another great way of getting exercise.  Everyone can do it at there own pace.  

NHS - Health And Fitness Advice

8. AVOID IBUPROFEN

When you have digestive problems, not just IBS, there are certain pain medication that is not recommended.  Ibuprofen is one of these, if in doubt ask your local chemist.  Also worth noting is that many pills are bulked out with lactose powder.  Which can cause problems if you are lactose intolerant.


  • Bupa
  • painkillers. If you need to use painkillers, try to use paracetamol as anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen (e.g. Nurofen) or aspirin may make your symptoms worse.


9. YOU DON'T NEED VITAMINS

Unless your Doctor specifically advises it, you don't need to take vitamin pills.  The majority of dairy free products like drinks and yogurts, are already fortified.  If you eat cereal for breakfast, that's another fortified food.  Also if you eating 80% good food then you should be getting the nutrients you need, from the food you are eating

10. RELAX

There is a direct connection between your gut and your brain.  The Gut is often referred to as the second brain.  When you become stress, you can trigger your symptoms.  I know it does for me.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding