body

Crispy Treat Recipe



CHOCOLATE CRISPY CAKES


The below Choc crispies recipe are my Grandmas.  Written in the back of my prized possession, her 1950's Good Housekeeping cookbook.   June is the anniversary of her death.  So in honour of her memory I thought Id make some crispy cakes.

When ever there was Jumble sale or fundraiser for the local scouts, she we be right their.  Her first stop would be the cake and bake stall.  The treats were always the handmade ones that you would never be able to buy in your local baker.  Simple things like marshmallow top hats, Scotch pancakes.




This was one of the first things I learned to make with my mum.  It's also one of the easiest recipes to make dairy free, gluten free and even better it's vegan.

You can use either gluten free Cornflakes or Rice Crispies, they both work just as well.  Grandmas recipe uses cocoa powder and cadburys flakes for hers. I prefer to use melted chocolate in mine. I had to chuckle at the tablespoon measurements.  




I got this cookbook a few years ago, it's has family favourites and great recipes for kids.  Who wouldn't love fish finger pie. I used their recipe for Crispy cakes.




I use a glass bowl to melt the chocolate, dairy free spread and golden syrup in.  Once it's lovely and glossy I take it of the heat to let it cool down a little, then fold in the Cereal.  I use 2 spoons to transfer the mixture to cup cake cases.  One spoon to scoop the other to gently push off into the cases.  I was able to around a 12 crispy treats.  The perks of make these is getting to lick the bowl and both spoons clean.  

TIP: Don't fill your pan too full of water.  Make sure it won't touch the bottom of your bowl. If it does your chocolate will split.  

Swap butter for dairy free spread, and honey for golden syrup in the below recipes to make them vegan.  

Weight Watchers Peanut Butter Crispy Treats

Peanut Butter and Honey Crispy Treats

Rice Crispy Cakes

Chocolate Crispy Cakes

Apricot, almond and coconut Crispy treats


The next time your stuck in on a rainy day, make yourself some crispy treats.  Top them with sprinkles.  Fold in dried fruit and nuts or chocolate chips.  There a brilliant recipe to make with kids.  Let them use their imagination and make some great memories for them to pass onto with their own children xxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding