body

Mexican Food and chocolate birthday cake


Delicious Lunch Menu
Chiquito Lunch Burrito Bowls - Veggie Chilli


Had a great meal out on Monday at Chiquito Restaurant  in Dunfermline with one of my good friends.  Her birthday had been the week before, so I had baked her a belated birthday cake.  




To make dairy free, use dairy free butter for the cake. For the ganache use dairy free chocolate and depending on your personal taste try using soya cream or coconut milk.  

To make Vegan, use a chocolate wacky cake recipe for the base.  




I turned to my one of my baking idols Mary Berry for the Recipe, the decorations were all my own though.   I baked a full dairy 2 layer chocolate cake, sandwiched with seedless raspberry jam.  I  frosted it with chocolate ganache, sprinkled the top with Crispy M&M's and put jammy dodger biscuits round the outside.

Why jammy dodgers?  Well why not?  

I wanted to make a really over the top cake.  I picked the jammy dodgers because of the cut out love heart in the middle. It made total sense to me, since the recipient L.A has a really big heart.  In hindsight I could have gone total chocolate over board and used the Choccie Dodgers.  




Lunch:  My Veggie Chilli Burrito bowl from the lunch menu was delicious and more importantly totally dairy free.  Whenever I eat there Iv found the servers to be really helpful when I explained I was lactose intolerant.

The meal was the perfect size for lunch with a little bit of everything.  Veggie 5 bean chilli, mexican spiced rice, black beans, salad and pink onions.  Which came on a flour tortilla, which is perfect for tearing off and scooping up the chilli with.

It's a Dairy free Vegetarian meal, however it's not vegan.  I checked out their web site allergy information, for their whole menu.  I can only make an educated guess and say that the eggs must be used to make the tortilla.

If your planning to eat out, check the menu before you decided where to eat.  If that's not possible give the restaurant a phone.

Scope the menu to see which meals...


1.  You would like to eat
2. Can easily be converted to accommodate your particular food intolerance.

At the Restaurant....

3. Always let your server know you have a food allergy or intolerance.  Even if you've booked ahead and let them know in advance.


and finally

4. Remember no one knows better than yourself what you can or can't eat.  So be patient with your server.

If there's one thing Iv learnt from doing therapy for my anxiety disorder,  the buck stops here.  The final choice is mine.  No one else can make the decisions for me.  In IBS terms as an adult I'm the one putting the food into my mouth.  So if I have any adverse effects I am the only one responsible.

So if you plan to eat out, then plan in advance.  You'll be much more relaxed and enjoy your meal and the company of your dining companions more xxxx






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding