body

Thank Bananas it's Friday




STOP THE PRESS:  The sun's Shining in Central Scotland.....
The perfect weather for Thank Bananas it's Friday


Banana Crumble

Today's theme is Dessert orientated.  What recipe I attempt to make, is basically dependent on my mood.  This week I really needed some healthy comfort food.  My IBS has flared up again, bringing with it the joy of  acid reflux...  Lovely.  

I can't really work out if my anxiety disorder has set off my IBS, or if the IBS has set of my Anxiety.  I can cope with one or the other, just not with both at once. Hence the need for some healthy comfort food, since that's all my digestive system can handle at the moment.  

One of my favourite childhood comfort foods was Apple crumble. I can remember making it for the first time  on my own in first year home economics class.   I've made a lot of different versions over the years with different fruit, but Id never made one with Banana's.

" If you don't try something then you will never know if it works"  

The same moto that gets me through graded exposure for my anxiety, also works wonders in the kitchen.  Banana crumble does work...... the contrast of baked banana's and crunchy oaty crumble work brilliantly together.  Perfect treat when your having a bad day.

Banana crumble - single portion

crumble mix
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp oats
1 tsp Caster sugar
1 tsp Vegan butter

 fruit mix
1 Banana  - sliced
2 tsp brown sugar

- Pre-heat oven 180 Celsius
- In a small cup or ramekin layer the sliced banana and top with the brown sugar
- In a small bowl rub the vegan butter into the rest of the crumble mix.  
- Sprinkle the crumble mix over the fruit and bake in the oven for 15 - 20 Min's

Serve with dairy free yogurt or custard.  


The first recipe left me smiling, while my second needed a happy dance to truly appreciate it.  


Banana custard pie 


I tried to find a recipe I liked on the Internet but gave up and created one instead.  Created sounds so much better than winging it.

Banana Custard Pie - (Serves 2 or 1 hungry person having a really bad day)

Custard
1 Cup Soy milk ( any dairy free will work)
1 tbsp Birds Traditional Custard Powder
1 tbsp Caster Sugar
pinch of salt
1 ripe banana (1/2 mashed, the other 1/2 sliced)
Optional: 2 tsp dark brown sugar or grated dairy free chocolate

Crust
2 digestive biscuits, smashed to crumbs
2 tsp Vegan Butter

- Melt the vegan butter and mix in the digestive biscuits to make the crust.  Press down into 1 pie tin or 2 small ramekins if your making 2.  Place in fridge to set

- Heat milk in a saucepan and make the birds custard as per the instructions.  Once thickened take the pan of the heat and add 1/2 mashed banana and a pinch of salt.  

- Leave to cool slightly.  Add the sliced banana on top of the biscuit crust.  Then top with the Custard and sprinkle over the brown sugar or chocolate and return to the fridge to set.

- Brown sugar melts into the custard to create a quick caramel glazed top.  


To truly enjoy this one you really need to get a bit of everything on your spoon at the same time.  Crunchy biscuit, soft banana and banana custard and the sweet brown sugar caramel.

 Since I planned to scoff the whole pie for myself instead of sharing, I had dessert for tea that night.  For me it was the same size as a main meal, there's something totally decedent having nothing but dessert for dinner xxxx

Wonder what banana recipe I'm in the mood for next week xxxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding