body

How not to make Millionaires Shortbread - Dairy free





Millionaire shortbread

I was experimenting making vegan caramel sauce on Friday.  I was pretty pleased with the results considering it was my first time.  My main problem was "What do I do with it now!!!".......

I'd made more than Id expected, and somehow I hadn't thought far enough ahead to consider what I was going to use it for.  I knew it would keep for a week in the fridge and tasted great as a spread on homemade scones.  However I didn't think my digestive system could handle that much sugary food. 

I'm intolerant to artificial sweeteners and have to limit the amount of sugary foods I eat.  Which is why most of my recipes have a reduced sugar version.  Or use fruit to naturally sweeten them.  

So it was perfectly logical to attempt to make a vegan version of a recipe that Id never made before, full dairy or otherwise.   

I made a vegan shortbread biscuit base and allowed it too cool before pouring the caramel on top.  Then I chilled it in the fridge for a few hours, so it wouldn't melt when I spread the final layer of dairy free chocolate.

1. If you plan to make a tray bake, make sure you use the correct size baking tin.  

The square baking tin I used was too small so when the shortbread cooked it had only one place to go,  Which was up.  If you look at the picture above you'll see my biscuit base ended up too thick.  


2. When making a caramel sauce, choose a recipe that sets pretty thick. 

Normal caramel recipes use a lot of sugar and sweetened condensed milk.  Which is a big no no for me.  The caramel I made was perfect for going over dairy free ice cream or cheesecake, it but wasn't thick enough to set.  As you can see from the photo it leaked out everywhere.  

Next time I would use a date based caramel recipe.  Much better for my IBS, and I won't have to worry about it not setting.  

Date Caramel sauce recipe

20 Dates - Chopped
2 tbsp Vegan Butter
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 tsp Salt
3 tbsp boiled water

- Soak the dates in the boiled water till it cools. 

- Place them into a blender with the rest of the ingredients and process till smooth.  

Depending on the amount of caramel you want, you may need to double the recipe.


3. Just because you melt too much chocolate, doesn't mean you need to use it all.  

My chocolate layer was so thick it cracked when I cut the millionaires shortbread into pieces. I could have used the excess to make chocolate bark or ganache.  More doesn't always mean better....

Look wise it was a complete and total mess, but it sure did taste good xxxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding