body

Bella Italia - Review

Bella Italia
- Gluten free/Dairy free Review
Image result for bella italia logo
Normally when planning to eat out with friends, it's not a case of where do you want to go.  It's where can you eat? Then there may only be one thing on the menu that's suitable. 

Restaurants seem to think that all vegetarian food must contain some form of dairy, normally cheese.  Which is not great for those of us that are lactose intolerant or for vegans.  I'm a gluten and lactose intolerant pescatarian, which makes it even more difficult when eating out.

Bella Italia is different though they have gluten free pasta and pizza dough alternatives available on there menu.  I've eaten at my local restaurant several times and the staff are always friendly. They are also great at advising what meals I can eat.  I always double check when ordering that no dairy is used in a meal, for example the fish dish I love has salsa Verde which contains cheese.


Bella Italia

Lenticchie - Vegan with a Gluten free pasta option
A Rich lentil and mushroom ragu.

It was my first time trying this new menu item, the lentil and mushroom ragu tasted great with just the right amount of sauce. The lentils adding the texture that reminded me of eating a regular bolognese.  It was so good I was nearly tempted to order another bowl.  I'm definitely a fan of this one and will be ordering it again.




Morello Cioccolato - Gluten and dairy free
A warm chocolate cake with a cocoa topping and Morello cherry sauce

I always resigned to not having a dessert, I usually just order a pot of tea instead.  The last time I was able to eat a dessert was July 2016 in a vegan restaurant in Edinburgh.  So when the Manager, knowing of my food intolerances, pointed this one out on the menu it was happy dance time. I'm not joking I was like a kid in a candy store.  I honestly can't remember the last time I was that excited.  

Imagine a warm soft chocolate cake, covered with a thick cocoa sauce and a Cherry compote on the side.  The Cherry cuts through the rich chocolate, this decadent dessert is plate licking great.  Even the manager admitted he ate this one at least twice a week.  Any one eating this dessert would never know it was gluten and dairy free.

This visit to Bella Italia deserves a massive gold star.  Not only for the quality of the food, but their commitment to providing menu items suitable for those of us with food intolerances.   I'm already planning my next visit x



Image result for image gold star


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding