body

Depression and weight gain

Depression and me

Image result for illnesses linked to depression
Weight

I'm 5 ft 2 inches tall, at my heaviest I was 13 stone.  Looking back now I realise I comfort ate.  Another factor was I was afraid of not having any food in my digestive system, as not eating always set off a flare up of my IBS.

I had tried losing weight in the past, however it always went back on.  That was until I was diagnosed with depression, and finally got help.  I started seeing a mental health nurse for therapy.   A friend at work started the weight watcher diet, and I joined her.  For the first time weight started to come off and stayed off.  

Negative Stereotypes

What people don't realise is being overweight is not just about being lazy or unhealthy eating.  This type of stereotype has caused prejudice in society.  Just telling someone they are fat or commenting on their weight is not really helpful.

One experience I had meant I stopped eating for 3 days.  Others led to more comfort eating which just puts on more weight.  


Image result for depression




Depression

It's hard to look inside yourself, to find out what is causing your depression. What triggers it off.  It was only when I started therapy that I could really understand myself better.  My main problems are control, I have to be in control.  Any loss of control sets off my anxiety.  Having IBS does not help this because I have no real control over my body.  It's not always obvious what triggers it.  Another problem is I'm very self critical, it's always a reflex action now.  I always expect to be criticised by other people, so I get in first and do it first.  

Looking at things differently and working on my negative behaviour lifted a weight off me.  Literally as it was only then I could lose weight.    


Other medical conditions

Depression is only one of the way that someone might gain weight.  The NHS link below shows some other medical problems that can cause it.




If you have mental health problems and are either putting on weight or losing it, always go to your Doctor for advise.  It might have nothing to do with your depression so it's important to get it checked.

 Too many times I've had emergency Doctor appointments with locums, who blame my symptoms on my depression.  It's really frustrating  when you know it's not linked. 

 It was only after writing down all my symptoms and getting an appointment with my own Doctor that I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.   Ironically IBS and depression are common illnesses found in people with fibromyalgia. 

If you have trouble explaining things to your own Doctor, give it a try.  

The important thing to remember about weight gain if you have depression, is it's usually a sign that your getting bad again.  See it as a symptom of the problem and ignore any negative comments thrown your way.

Remember that the only way some people can be happy is by making other people sad and upset.  I pity these people, because they will never be really content with life xx  











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding