body

Depression and Me




See Me Scotland

Even if you're not from Scotland, check out their website.  There aim is to end Mental health stigma and discrimination.  For my part Iv decided to be more open about my own mental health problems with depression and anxiety.

Many of us with long term medical illnesses like IBS, also have issues with depression and anxiety.  Not having control of your own body, never knowing when the next episode will be triggered.  Being scared to eat out, and apprehensive about travelling long distances without access to a toilet. 

IBS is a hidden illness, talking about digestive problems like mental health is not seen as the "done thing."  However if we don't talk about them, we are left feeling isolated and lonely.  

My mental health problems became worse last year when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  Dealing the IBS and mental health problems is hard enough, but adding on the extra health problems has overwhelmed me.

Fibromyalgia  is a chronic condition that condition that can cause widespread pain over the whole body.  Other symptoms are muscle stiffness, fatigue, memory problems referred too as fibro fog, headaches.  Another symptom is the majority of people with Fibromyalgia also have IBS.  It also has a large impact on the mental health.  

I had to give up my job working in the cafe, as my pain was so intense.  It physically hurt to walk, I had shooting pains in my back and my muscles were stiff and sore.  When relaxed my muscles would twitched, physically moving my arms and legs like I was a puppet. 

One night I was woken due to my arms and legs moving, I had no control over them.  I was terrified, especially more due the my mental health problems.   I worry about getting so bad that I lose my grip on reality.  Luckily I have a great GP.  Often when my mental health is bad, I'll write down what I want to say during my GP visit.  How often have you gone into see a Dr and forget everything you wanted to say or needed to say.

I was previously unable to work for 3 years due to mental health problems, getting back into work in a part time capacity gave me a big boost I felt independent again.  To find myself unable to work again has really hit my self confidence.  

I have my down days and I have my good days.  Mental health problems don't just go away.  They are just the same as any physical illness.  The best thing you can do is talk about it.  Asking for help is often the hardest step to take in the process.  

- Talk to friends and family if you can.
- Tell your GP, write it down if you can't say it out loud.
- Look up registered mental health charity websites for advice or forums. 
- Facebook has open or closed sites you can join.  
- Find a way that lets you express your feelings, I use this blog as mine.


From my own personal experience, keeping it all bottled up inside just makes me feel worse.  So let's talk about it, and break the stigma xx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding