body

10 Ways to cook Mushrooms - Dairy free

Mushroom : uncooked mushrooms closeup

Mushrooms

Since giving up meat and poultry for my health due to my IBS,  Mushrooms have been a great substitute.  They have a firm texture and a wonderful savoury taste, that makes a hearty, healthy meal.  

Lots of recipes pair Mushrooms with dairy products like cream or cheese.  Hopefully I can show you that there just as great dairy free. 


1. Soup

I remember my First Aid in Work course, the instructor suggested I eat in the restaurant.  He happily suggested the mushroom soup, even though he knew I was lactose intolerant.  More fool me for listening to him, even though he was a trained nurse.  I spent the next day with sever stomach craps!!!!

The only time I eat mushroom soup these days is if I make it myself.


 This recipe uses vegan sour cream, which Iv yet to find in any supermarket.  Plain dairy free yogurt would give the same taste.


 Use dairy free vegetable stock to make this recipe vegetarian and vegan.  



2. Raw

I always thought that mushrooms needed to be cooked, until a friend introduced me the eating them raw.  She used to peel them, then slice and add into salads.  Cooking an ingredient doesn't always mean applying heat to it.  

I made my own marinated mushrooms recipe.  Kind of free wheeled it from ingredients I had in my store cupboard.

Marinated Mushrooms

Mushrooms - Whatever is in season
Equal qty

 - Balsamic vinegar
 - Soya sauce 
-  Vegetable oil
- Water or vegetable stock

1 tsp sugar or syrup

Make up marinade and pour over some sliced mushrooms.  Keep in an air tight container for 2 -3 days in the fridge.  Then there ready to serve.  

I served mine over Vietnamese steamed eggs, but would work equally as well in a cold noodle salad.  


Mushroom carpaccio  Leave out the Parmesan to make dairy free or add Olives instead for the same salty kick.  

Spinach and mushroom dip   Iv never heard of tamari, its made with soya beans so I would try soya sauce instead.  




3. Stuffed

Serving stuffed mushrooms used to be really trendy at dinner parties.  Or so you would think watching Come Dine with me.  It seems to be especially popular if one of your guests is vegetarian.  



Vegan Stuffed Mushroom  (If your yeast intolerant like me, leave out the  nutritional yeast)


Or you could try using mushrooms as the stuffing...



  NB: I also can't eat vegan cheese as nutritional yeast is added as a flavour enhancer.  



4. BBQ



When the sun comes out in the UK, the majority of the population get out there BBQ grill.   Personally when the weather gets hot, I switch to salads.  Cooked hot food is the last thing I crave.

 If you are invited to one, you don't need to be left out.  Mushrooms make a great meat free BBQ substitute.  Just remember to cook them on piece of foil wrap or a baking tin, to stop any cross contamination with the meat on the BBQ.  






5. Baked/Roasted

If my brother and sister in law plan a BBQ party, it goes ahead no matter what the weather is.  You'll find the women in the house having a blether, while the hardy Scottish men group together outside. One of them holding a Brolly over the BBQ Grill.  

Or you could always stay dry and make the BBQ recipes above in your oven.  

Here are a few more mushroom recipes, that can be baked.  



Quick Mushroom & Spinach lasagna  Swap the cream cheese for Silken Tofu and leave out the Parmesan to make dairy free and vegan.



6. Fried

Deep Fried food + Me = a lot of pain.  I avoid it totally, however my IBS is OK with stir fried foods.  

Oriental mushrooms & Pak Choi Stir Fry

Spicy Mushroom Stir Fry

Asian Cabbage & Shiitake Stir Fry



7. Braised



I made myself an easy mushroom Stroganoff at the weekend.  Most of the recipes I found were vegetarian and relied heavily on dairy.  To make my own dairy free version I used Silken Tofu for the creamy base to the sauce.

This is a budget version of the recipe, which is why I mix canned mushrooms with fresh.  It's also easy and quick to cook.  

Easy Mushroom Stroganoff

1 onion - Diced
1 Can - mushrooms
5-7 Fresh mushrooms diced
1/2 Cup Mixed Chopped Bell peppers
1 pack Silken Tofu - puree till smooth
1 tbsp Lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp Veg oil
Pinch of Smoked Paprika

Soften the onion with the veg oil in a saucepan.  Then add in the bell peppers and finally the mushrooms.

Puree the Silken Tofu till smooth, and add to the saucepan along with the rest of the ingredients.  

Cook for 20 mins, then serve over pasta noodles.  


Creamy Tofu and mushroom Stroganoff

Vegan Braised Chinese Mushrooms

Drunken Braised Mushrooms


8. Dips & Tapa's

Probably the most retro recipe on the list - Garlic Mushrooms.  Found in many  chain restaurants and Pubs.  There usually breaded, then deep fried and served with garlic mayonnaise.  

The best garlic mushrooms I ever ate, were at a Spanish restaurant served tapas style.  You know somethings great, when the rest of the diners are fighting to get a taste.   

Mushrooms with garlic and white wine

Garlic mushrooms
Mushroom Tapenade


Mushroom Dip
9. Steamed


I bought my first stove top steamer at the start of the year, and I am always looking for different ways to use it.  Never thought of steaming mushrooms before now.  


How to steam mushrooms

Steamed Aubergine & Mushrooms with peanut sauce

 - Steamed Abalone Mushrooms with sesame oil

10. Sweet

I searched for mushroom dessert recipes and I found them.  The wonders of the Internet never cease to amaze me.  

Use dairy and egg substitutes if you want to try this recipe.

Candy Cap bread pudding

Mushroom Chocolate Cookie

Candy cap Mushroom cupcakes



Want more mushroom recipes, check out  http://www.moretomushrooms.com/   xxx






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding