body

10 ways to cook cucumber - dairy free

Cucumber : green cucumber isolated on white background


When you think of vegetables to cook with you don't automatically think of cucumbers.  I usually just dice them up for  a salad or sandwich, or mix them into some cous cous.  I've also been know to snack on them, I love the crunchy freshness.

So I decided to do some research to see what else I could make with them.



1. Salad

You can't start a list of meals made with cucumbers without mentioning salads, however they don't need to be boring.  Its a versatile vegetable that's used in many global cuisines. 






2. Dips


Been an Indian food fan iv made cucumber and mint raita before. It's a lovely cooling dip that goes great with spicy food.  I decided to do something different and made my own Cucumber salsa.  

Vegetables
Cucumber - diced
Tomato - de-seeded and diced
Spring onion - chopped
Green olives

Seasoning
salt and pepper
lemon juice
hot sauce
Vegetable oil ( a little to blend the seasoning together)


I tossed all my diced  vegetables together, then seasoned to taste.  I didn't have fresh chili so used a few drops hot sauce instead.  When cooking you don't need to stick totally to the recipe, use them as inspiration.  If you don't like an ingredient, leave it out and season to suite your own taste.  

cucumber and lime salsa





3. Baked

Cucumbers are very similar to courgettes, so can also be baked in the oven.  

Cucumber and white bean gratin

Cucumber Gratin   Use vegan butter and cheese to make this recipe dairy free.  



4. Pickled/Preserved




I took inspiration from the quick pickled cucumber recipe to make my own.  Guy Fieri's recipe uses a whole cucumber, which is great if you want to make a large quantity.  I went with my own smaller version.

  I sprinkled salt onto some sliced cucumber to draw out the juices. Then Mixed Apple cider vinegar, whole grain mustard, sugar and a little water together.  I also kept the juice that came out of the cucumber to pour into the pickling mix.  


Quick Pickled Sweet Cucumber

Pickled cucumber

Pickled Lebanese Cucumber



5. Deep Fried

Fried food doesn't agree with my IBS so I basically avoid it, however if I could still eat it I would love to make these recipes.

Cornmeal fried cucumber

Deep fried cucumber  Swap the buttermilk for dairy free yogurt or milk for make dairy free


6. Soup



I made myself some chilled creamy cucumber and mint soup for lunch today.  It was lovely, light refreshing.  Proving you can still eat soup during the summer.  

 Use vegan substitutes to make these recipes dairy free.   The Thai version uses chicken broth as a stock.  I don't think you really need to swap it for vegetarian, because there are so many great seasonings in the recipe.  

Chilled cucumber and mint soup  

Cool cucumber Soup

Thai Cucumber Soup


7. Stir fried

Discovered there are two Chinese cooking techniques for frying,  The first is pan fried, which is basically using the wok like a frying pan.  You lay your veggies flat against the surface till cooked, then turn over to cook the other side.  

Stir frying is when the veggies are constantly moved around the wok. (Sorry!!!! I'm a cooking nerd so I get really excited when I discover any new cooking ingredients and techniques) 


Chinese pan fried cucumber

Stir fried cucumber with chili oil  (Please don't add the MSG!!! You don't need it)


8. Drinks

Curiously cucumber is used a lot to make cocktails.  I'm Alcohol intolerant, so I prefer virgin cocktails.

Strange fact:  More people are horrified when I tell them I am alcohol intolerant, than they are when they find out am dairy intolerant!  

Cucumber & basil vodka slush

Cucumber Gimlet

Mean green cucumber juice

Cucumber lassi  (Use vegan yogurt and milk to make dairy free)



9. Other - or great recipes I didn't want to leave out.  

 Ribbons are an alternative way to serve your cucumber.  I use my potato peeler to create the ribbons.  Looks awesome, when it's really mega simple.

Cucumber ribbon salad with lime and sesame


A great idea for a vegan appetiser.  Slice your cucumber down the long side, to make easy cucumber rolls.  The recipe below calls for - Annie's Lite Gingerly Vinaigrette Dressing.  If like me you have no idea what this is,  just use your own favourite vinaigrette. You could also swap it for 1 tbsp Soya sauce.  

Cucumber Tofu rolls


The English Cucumber sandwiches, have gained a bad rep.  If left out long enough without some clingfilm, the edges of the bread dry out and curl up.  Here's an alternative recipe pairing cucumber with hummus.  

Crispy Cucumber Sandwiches 


10.  Desserts

Cucumbers have a refreshing taste, so it's not surprising that there used to make iced desserts.  

Cucumber Sorbet

Cucumber, lemon and lavender grantia

Keera cucumber halwa


If you want to look for more Cucumber inspired recipes, check out 

http://www.cucumberrecipes.co.uk/    xxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding