body

Thank Banana's its Friday



It's been a strange old week in Scotland.  I don't normally need to worry about wearing Sunscreen, but it's been a scorching Sunny week.  A pleasant side effect of this sunny weather is that my Banana's are ripening quicker than normal.  Mmmm all the more for me.......


Re-cap:  In case you have not seen my blog before.  At the start of the year I gave myself the challenge of making as many recipes as I could using the humble banana.  However the recipes all had to be dairy free, as I have food intolerance's.  




The first recipe I tested this week was the Banana everything cookie recipe from the guys at PPK( Post punk Kitchen)

Banana's, oatmeal and chocolate chips  three of my favourite things.  The recipe is easy to make, I like to leave mine to firm up in the fridge before baking.  Especially since there's porridge oats in the cookie dough.

The cookies turned out great, nice and crispy round the edges and chewing soft in the middle. I did find that the chocolate overrode the banana taste of the cookies though.  Might have been because I used Dairy free chocolate chips.  Next time I would add 1/3 cup instead.  The original recipe also had chopped nuts, which I plan to include next time I make.

If you love chocolate chip cookies, then this vegan recipe is a great one to have in your cook book.


Second recipe tested

I'm kicking myself for not thinking of this combination before now.  Polenta can be used to make cakes, so doesn't always need to be made into a savoury dish.  

I followed the recipe but instead of eating it like porridge for breakfast, I decided to make banana polenta fingers.   I oiled a 7 inch square tin, and poured in the cooked polenta.  I smoothed it out and left it too cool and set.  

Once firm I was able to cut it into fingers.  You can either cook them in a frying pan or bake them in the oven.  Cook until they turn a lovely golden brown colour, then serve. I had mine with dairy free ice cream, however dairy free yogurt or cream would work just as well.  

It also freezes well, just make sure you place some clingfilm or greaseproof paper between the layers.

I loved this recipe, it's easy to make, tastes great and freezes well.

If like me your banana's about bananas look out for more recipes next week xxxx  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding