body

Is your Jelly vegetarian?







I've lived with IBS for nearly 20 years now, and am constantly surprised what manufacturer add to our food.  I just never thought that it would include Jelly!!!!

I am lactose and yeast intolerant and I'm also intolerant to products  made with  or containing meat or poultry.  I have learnt the hard way (excruciating stomach pain),  that it's best to always check the list of ingredients before eating anything.  

We made Trifle for lunch today in the canteen, which had me craving some jelly and fruit.  So I decided to see which Jellies where safe to eat.  



Hartley's



Ingredients: 

Glucose-Fructose Syrup,Sugar ,Pork Gelatine ,Citric Acid ,Acidity Regulator: Sodium Citrates ,Acetic Acid ,Flavouring ,Colours: Carmines, Curcumin


Hartley's is one of the most popular brands in the UK, however it's not vegetarian or vegan friendly.  I checked out the Sugar Free crystals, but the ingredients do not say where the gelatine is derived from.  


It's the same with Shop's Own brand Jellies, nearly all are made with either pork, beef/bovine gelatine.

Asda Own Brand



Ingredients:  Maltodextrin , Gelling Agent (Agar)               
IngredientsPork Gelatine (100%) .


  An alternative option is to make your own Jellies from scratch, again you really need to check the label.  I always look to see if the label says there vegetarian friendly.  Asda do there own brand of gelatine, just remember to buy the right one.



Weight Watchers





Ingredients:  Gelling Agents: Carageenan, Potassium Citrates, Sodium Citrates , Dried Glucose Syrup , Citric Acid , Colours: Beetroot Red, Anthocyanins , Flavouring , Sweeteners: Acesulfame K, Sucralose .


Weight watchers is a global brand so it's not really surprising that It is Vegetarian friendly.  The gelatine is made from seaweed, check out the above link it you want to know more.

Unfortunately Artificial sweeteners don't really agree with me.  If your still trying work out your own IBS triggers try excluding them from your diet for a few weeks.  If your symptoms get better you will know it's one of your triggers.  


Dr Oetker














Ingredients: Beef Gelatine

                                  Ingredients:100% Pork Gelatine 





(Vegetarian friendly)



Not even my favourite Jelly babies are safe to eat, as there made with beef gelatine.   I always thought it was the sugar in them that didn't agree with me.  


Bassets




Contains:   Gelatine (Bovine)



Verdict:  If I want some good old fashion Jelly,
 looks like I need to make my own from scratch xxx

Comments

  1. Well I think I n have at last found a vegetarian
    JELLY. It is called AL NOOR JELLY CRYSTALS and I found them in.TOOTING.
    only 59pence and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding