body

Angel Food cake - Dairy free Recipe testing




I have 2 rules when it comes to cooking with eggs. 

1.  They must be free range. 
2.  They need to be the star of the recipe.  


Angel food cake is a perfect dairy free recipe that puts the egg centre stage.   Google Angel food cake and you will find thousands of recipes.  I decided to make  Anna Olsons Angel food cake recipe.  

I'm a big Anna Olson Fan.  OK not all her recipes are dairy free but it's a great cooking show to watch for learning baking techniques.  



Mini Angel food cake 
with cherries


If you can make a meringue, you can make angel food cake.  The trick with making meringue is whipping the eggs whites enough.  First time I made them using my electric hand whisk.  Took ages to reach the firm peak stage. However I'd prepared myself with  a mug of peppermint tea and a good book, to stop me getting bored.  

Since I got my stand mixer (an early birthday pressie to myself) it's even easier.  


Important tips to remember

The cream of tartar really  does help stabilise the eggs  and make them easier to beat.  Its an acid like vinegar but in a powder form.

Do not grease the baking tins, the cake matter needs something to cling too in order to rise.

Always sift your flour and fold in gently with a metal spoon or spatula.  

I know it sound totally bizarre and goes against all the normal baking rules.  However allowing the cakes to cool upside down in the baking tin, really does work.  It stops the cakes from sinking.  


Mini angel food cake
ice cream and
caramel coated banana's

Iv used ramekin moulds and tins of tuna before to cool the cakes upside down. Basically anything works as long as there the same height.  Just make sure there holding the tin and not the cake.  

Just like any other cake batter, you can use it to make different sized cakes.  Angel food cake is traditionally baked in a tube style bundt tin, which I don't have.  If like me you do not have one, there are ways round this problem.



- Washed and cleaned tin can    placed in the centre of a large cake tin.  A DIY way of creating your own tube baking tin.

- Sandwich cake   Split the cake batter in half and pour into 2 round baking tins, to turn it into a layer cake.   (30 Min's baking time )

- Jumbo muffin tin    Equally fill a jumbo muffin tin with the batter to make mini angel food cakes for dessert. (20-25 Min's baking time)

- Cupcakes   Spoon the cake batter into cupcake cases instead of an ungreased baking tin.  They won't rise as much but they will still be incredibly light.  I took mine from the tin same as normal cupcakes, then flipped them upside down.  I placed a clean tea towel over my wire cooling rack, so the cakes didn't get any wire marks.    (12 - 15 mins baking time)


I used dairy free lemon curd to fill my layered angel food cake.  All it needs is some dairy free cream or cold custard to serve with it.  

For Cupcakes, a nice layer of dairy free chocolate gananche or mousse to decorate would be a lovely touch.

Or Traditionally the are usually covered in a simple lemon icing glaze.  Made from Lemon juice and icing sugar, the poured over the cake and allowed to drizzle down the sides.


Verdict

If your looking for a dairy free recipe to make for a special occasion this is a good one to make.    Its a great dairy free recipe, that even my non intolerant friends and family love.

It takes a little extra time to make, but its worth it xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding