body

10 ways to cook Spinach - Dairy free

Spinach : Healthy Eating  Spinach Stock Photo

How many times do you find yourself staring into your 
fridge wondering what you could make to eat?



My 10 ways to cook blogs are a way of passing on ideas, so you don't always need to cook your favourite vegetables the same way every time.  

I lucked out at the beginning of the week,  when I found some fresh spinach in my local Morrison's supermarket. 

 I love spinach, one of my favourite meals used to be ricotta and spinach cannelloni.  Not had it for a while since I'm lactose intolerant.  



1. Soup

The easiest way to cook any vegetable is to turn it into soup.  I made my own simple version with chopped onions, vegetable stock and spinach.  I added the spinach in at the end to wilt, then blitzed with my hand blender.  

I turned out a glorious deep green colour and was packed with flavour.  

Cream of Spinach Soup


Cream of Spinach Soup

Lentil Soup with Wilted Spinach

Hearty white bean and spinach soup



2.  Wilted




Wilted is kind of a trendy term for an easy cooking method.  Adding it last to a dish helps keep all the flavour.  Nothing worse than over boiled veggies. 

 I took inspiration from the www.uktv.co.uk site and made there gnocchi recipe dairy free.  I tossed my cooked gnocchi with dairy free green pesto and spinach leaves.  There was enough heat left in the gnocchi to wilt the spinach.     

You could try the same idea using pasta instead of the gnocchi, it makes a great quick meal.  It's cooks a lot quicker than most pre-packed micro-meals.  

Quinoa wilted spinach salad  (If you can't find quinoa, use cous cous or orzo instead)



3. Roasted

Roasting frozen spinach doesn't work, however using fresh whole leaves does.  You can find step by step instructions on  www.Livestrong.com

Italian Herb Baked Spinach Chips recipe


Garlic Roasted Spinach

Italian herb baked Spinach Chips



4. Baked 

Spinach is a great vegetable to use as an ingredient. It adds tons of flavour to finished dish.  

Baked Spinach Kofta's

Spinach and pine nut sausage mix  (Use vegan cheese to make dairy free)

Spinach balls, pasta with courgette (Swap the eggs and cheese for firm tofu to make DF)



5. Deep Fried

There's an old saying that the way to make something taste better is to deep fry it.  Well Scotland is the nation that invented the deep fried mars bar.

 Personally for me deep fried food is off the menu, it flares up my IBS.  Iv yet to find a food that's worth the pain.

Deep Fried Spinach



6. Stove top

I love a good vegetarian curry, even before I had to stop eating meat.  Its not a surprise that its one of the nations favourite meals.  Most people get take out, me I make my own.  I admit I tend to use a pre-made Garam Masala mix.  I hate any type of food waste, including herbs and spices.

I used my mega bag of fresh spinach to make some sag aloo on Friday.  Its a simple potato and Spinach curry.  Fresh Spinach also work well in a Chickpea curry.  


Quick Chickpea and Spinach Curry


Sag aloo (potato and spinach curry)

Savoury Spinach cakes with onion marmalade  (You could always buy some onion marmalade instead of making it your self)



7. Salad

If you are able to buy some fresh spinach, try using it in a summer salad for something different.    Raw spinach is a bit like mar mite, you either love it or hate it.  Some people prefer the taste of it cooked.  

Spinach and green bean salad

Spinach pesto pasta salad  

You can use pesto to make a quick salad dressing.  Toss it with warm potatoes, it helps them absorb the all the lovely flavours.  I have also use pesto to make pasta salads.  Pasta doesn't always need to be served warm.  Just don't over cook it, or your salad will turn to mush.


8. Stir Fried

Stir fried vegetables are healthy and quick to make.  There also a good way of using up any leftover veg.


Easy Thai stir fried spinach

Spinach, tofu and sesame stir fry



9. Frozen

When Fresh Spinach isn't in season there are recipes you can make using frozen. 


Creamed Spinach


Spinach stuffed pasta shells  ( You could use the same make a spinach lasagna)

Creamed Spinach


10. Dessert

I couldn't really find at lot of sweet recipes using spinach, funny that!!! 


Vegan Molten chocolate cake

Sweet Italian Spinach pie (Use vegan butter to make dairy free, & tofu to make vegan)

Vegan Chocolate Avocado spinach cupcake




 Let me know if you've been brave enough to bake a sweet recipe using spinach xxxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding