body

10 Days to cook Lettuce - Dairy free



It has been sunny here over the last few days. so I have switched to eating salads.  Like a Scottish summer,  better enjoy while it lasts.  It got me thinking, there must be more to lettuce than just using it in a salad.

Not all the recipes I find are dairy free or vegan.  Some are easy to change by using dairy free alternatives.  Others give me some great inspiration, to make my limited diet more Interesting.  


1. Soup

I forgot that I had lettuce in veggie drawer of my fridge.  It was slightly wilted and not really appetising, so I decided to use it make make soup instead.  It turned out great and I would definitely make it again.  

Pea and lettuce soup (Channel 4 food/recipes)

Nourishing lettuce soup (tarladala.com) You can use vegetable stock instead if the milk, or swap for your normal dairy free substitutes.  



2. Braised

For a side dish or light meal, try braising your lettuce.  It works best with whole lettuce cut into quarters.  I have tried this myself and it tasted great.





Braised Iceberg lettuce (fuss free flavours)

Chinese Braised lettuce (Cook until delicious)



3. Juice

Personally I'm not really a veggie juice fan, but I love the idea of it as a vitamin booster.  I'm a  believer in eating the rainbow of colours of fruit and veg.  Yup am one of those healthy eating nuts.....

Lettuce Juice Recipe (The juicers.best.com)

Lemony lettuce juice (Tarladala.com) 


4. pickled

If you grow your own lettuce preserving is a great way of enjoying it throughout the year.

You could try these quick pickle recipe, if you don't have the patience.  

Pickled lettuce salad (kosherfood.com)  

Pickled Chinese lettuce (ifood.com)


Another idea use the lettuce to make the dressing for your salad

Lettuce Vinegar Recipe (Allotment.org.uk)



5. Wraps/Rolls


Cous Cous salad lettuce wraps

I first starting making lettuce wraps when I switched to healthy eating.  ( I prefer the term healthy eating to dieting)  There a great crunchy alternative to tortilla wraps.  

Lettuce wraps with Hoisin-peanut sauce (My recipes.com)

Black bean lettuce wrap tacos (Coffee and quinoa)

Vietnamese Lettuce rolls (My Recipes)



6. Roasted 

It's probably not a big shock that I watch a lot of cooking shows.  I've seen a few celebrity chefs roasting lettuce to make winter salads.   Showing that Lettuce can be enjoyed at any time of the year. 

 Couldn't resist trying it out for myself.  I did a more basic version of tossing lettuce quarters in veg oil with a little salt and pepper.  Then baked them in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes.  


Herb crusted roasted lettuce  (Watercat.blogspot)

Roasted Romaine lettuce   (Simplynutricising.com)  Swap the greek yogurt in the dressing for your favourite plain dairy free brand.  


Or try roasting them to make Baked Lettuce Chips



7.  Grilled

Lettuce is another vegetable that would work well grilled.  Proving you don't need to eat meat to enjoy a barbecue.  

Hugh's BBQ lettuce (Channel 4)

Grilled Lettuce (Simplyrecipes.com)



8. Salad

I couldn't have a list of idea's for lettuce without including some salad recipes. They don't need to be just a boring plate of lettuce, cucumber and tomato.  

Check out the Savvy vegetarian for some inspiration.  

Lambs lettuce, orange and roasted beet salad  (BBC Good Food)

Ottelenghi's Perfect Lettuce Salad  (Yummly.com)



9. Dessert

I'm starting to wonder if there are any vegetables left, that haven't been used in a dessert recipe.  

Chocolate Chip Lettuce Pie  (Living, learning, eating)

Lettuce Cake with Lemon frosting (Thrift Fun)  

Spiced Lettuce Bars (Baking bites)


The last 2 are vegetarian recipe, use an egg and dairy substitute to make it vegan.  



10. More Meal Ideas

Finally some recipes ideas that I couldn't leave of the list, because they sounded too good.  


Wintery Spring Rolls (101cookbooks)

Nutty Wilted Lettuce (food.com)

Lettuce Risotto  (BBC Food/recipes)

Meat free BLT Spagetti (Food Network)  Leave out the cheese to make it dairy free



Happy Dairy free Eating xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding