body

Thank Bananas it's Friday



One woman's on-going mission
 to make as many meals and recipes using Bananas.  



Humans and banana trees share about 55% of the same DNA.  - Wiki Answer

Finally discovered why am so obsessed with Banana's.... Who would have thunk it!!!


Banana's for Breakie

I have been really busy this week due to a surprise job interview, which kind of threw me into anxiety mode.  The only banana themed meals Iv made this week, have been for breakfast.  My favourite meal of the day.  

The reason is all in the name to break  your  fast.  The first meal of the day, since you ate the day before.  So I thought Id share some of my favourite breakfast recipes.


Banana Porridge:

Breakfast is the time of day your brain cells have still not totally kicked in, so I like to keep it simple.  I find the easiest way to make porridge is to use a measuring cup. You can use a regular coffee or tea mug as well.  

(3 parts water for every 1 porridge oats) 

I like my porridge creamy so I use a 3:1 ratio for the porridge oats and liquid.  I'm Scottish so I like to make mine with  water and a pinch of salt.  However any dairy free milk will work just as well. 

Why buy pre-packaged flavoured porridge when you can make your own and save money.  The mashed banana lends a lovely fresh fruity taste to the porridge, that I love.  That along with a little cinnamon and topped with creamy dairy free yogurt, makes  a really warm and tasty breakfast.



Banana Porridge:   1 serving

1/2 Cup Porridge Oats + 3 x 1/2 cup liquid

1/2 Banana mashed - the other half diced

Pinch of cinnamon or mixed spice

Optional: Raisins & soya yogurt

If you like your porridge to be thicker, so you can stand your spoon in it, use a 2:1 ratio


- Mix all the ingredients, except the 1/2 sliced banana in a saucepan.  Then cook over a moderate heat, stirring occasionally.

- Once cooked to your own personal preference  serve up.  Top with the sliced banana and a spoonful of yogurt.



Banana Muesli:

During the summer months,  I switch to muesli.   I wasn't a fan of muesli for a lot of years till my mum suggested mixing it into my soya yogurt.  Soggy cereal reminds me of baby food!!!!!  Whereas muesli mixed with fresh fruit and yogurt, feels like i'm having dessert for breakfast.  


(Check the ingredients label when you are buying, as some manufacturers add whey or milk powder to there muesli.  Not great if your lactose intolerant like I am)


Banana Muesli:  1 Serving

1 Cup Muesli
2 - 3 tablespoons dairy free yogurt
splash of dairy free milk
1 banana - diced


Basically add all the ingredients into your breakfast bowl and mix together.  Eat straight away, so the muesli still has a little crunch.  


Breakfast on the go:

Not everyone can handle eating first thing in the morning.  I know as my mum is one of those people.  Food in the morning makes her feel nauseous,  so she eats later in the morning.  I  make her scones and muffins for her freezer, so she always has a portable breakfast on hand.  


Starting with a basic banana muffin recipe you can then change the taste based on your mood. Just fold one of the following into your basic batter.  

Banana muffin

 + 1 Cup Fresh rhubarb - diced 

 + 1 Cup fresh or frozen Blueberries

+ 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips

+ 1/2 Cup freeze dried Strawberries

+ Make 1 cup of crumble  topping, then sprinkle it on top of your muffins before baking them in the oven.  

Once baked and cooled, label and place into freezer bags.  Take one out of the freezer first thing in the morning and it should be defrosted by the time you get to work  xxx 

  











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding