body

Race night Chocolate Cake


Chocolate ganache covered chocolate cake
decorated with continental chocolate's



Baked a chocolate Victoria sandwich cake on Friday for a race night fundraiser.  Third one I've made in 2 weeks, Iv pretty much memorised the recipe now.  



First one I made was for a good friends birthday.  Topped with M&M's and jammy dodgers round the side.  I don't normally do decorations, I went with the most over the top cake I could make.



Jammy Dodgers for her big heart

Second cake was for my evening reading group, to celebrate one of the lady's birthdays.  Due to a last minute visitor she couldn't make it.  The rest of guys had no problem eating it though.



By the third cake I'd finally figured out the best way to cover the cake with the chocolate ganache.    

It was suggested by my mother to go for a more dignified decoration on this one.  So I used continental chocolate's to make a clock face.  Soft centers for the numbers and longer toffee  ones for the clock hands.  

Finally wrapping  it in a sheet of Florist cellophane,  topped off with some ribbon.  


TOP TIPS:  - For making and using Chocolate Ganache

Covering the top of the cake is easy but the Ganache doesn't always stick to the sides.  Covering it in a sugar glaze before hand and leaving to set, makes it easier too smooth on.


Sugar Glaze:

Apricot Glaze

100 grams smooth apricot jam
50 ml water

Melt the jam in a pan, then pass through a sieve to remove any fruit.  Return to the pan and add the water.  

Stir and bring to the boil, then it can be removed from the heat.

Cake:

Fill your cake with a layer of jam or butter cream, then sandwich together.  Place on a wire cooling rack, this makes it a lot easier to apply the glaze.

Use a pastry brush to glaze the top and sides of the cake.  The glaze has the added bonus that it helps keep the cake moist.

Place in your fridge and leave for a few hours or overnight.  Then move to a cake board or serving plate.


Easy basic recipe

150 grams Chocolate
150ml double cream

(To make a dairy free version use dairy free chocolate and substitute coconut milk for the cream.)

Double boiler/Bain Marie:

Chocolate can be difficult to work with, I prefer to melt it in a glass bowl over a saucepan of simmer water on a low-medium heat.

Before you add the chocolate make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water.  

I like to add both the chocolate and cream into the glass bowl.  So the chocolate melts as the cream heat's up.  You can leave it for 5 - 10 Min's before starting to mix the melted chocolate in.  

Once ready stir and leave to cool down a bit, before applying to the cake

Parchment Paper: 

I got this brilliant tip from Ina Garten, The barefoot countessa herself.  Cut lengths of parchment or greaseproof paper and gently place round and under the cake.  

This way the chocolate drips onto the paper and keeps your cake board or serving plate clean. Gently pull away once the cake is finished.

Pallet knife:

Pallet knife is a great multi task tool for the kitchen. 

-  You I can lift large cakes with it
- Use it to remove cookies or scones from a baking sheet
- Spread butter cream 
- or use to spread on chocolate ganache.  

Even better if you have a metal one.  Dip into boiled water and leave for a few Min's before drying off.  Great for softening the chocolate and smoothing over any imperfections on your cake.


Cake box:

It doesn't cost a lot to buy a basic cake box.  I was given a lake land plastic one for my birthday a few years ago.  Recently I invested in another one from Asda that only cost £3.  

Keeps the dust of cakes and stops them accidentally being bashed.  


DON'T KEEP IN THE FRIDGE:

Any other cake  but chocolate is okay stored in a fridge.    Chocolate can lose it's shine and develop white marbling.  

Keep in a cool part of the house instead.  In my case I kept the cake in my closet, my bedroom is always cold no matter the weather.  


I must be a glutton for punishment.  Three cakes in 2 weeks all full fat dairy, so I couldn't eat a slice or lick the cake batter.   I might not have been able to eat it but it sure did smell good mmmm.  

Next time I bake one, I'm going to make sure it's dairy free or vegan xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding