body

Thank Bananas it's Friday.....


Fruit and Nut ' War' Cake

BANANAS ABOUT BANANAS

I'm especially Thankful it is Friday this week.  I forgot to re-order my prescription for my medication, which I take for my IBS.  The one that stops me waking up at night as I feel my digestive system working.  

I pick it up today so  I'll actually get a decent sleep tonight.  Tired and cranky may be cute in children, not especially in Adults.  Hence my friends and family will also be especially thankful this Friday as well.  

The focus of my Banana project this week has been - Fruitcake.  It seemed appropriate considering my sleep deprivation.  





For this recipe I took inspiration from a Fruit and Nut war cake Recipe, that I found when searching the Internet.  So many dairy & egg free cakes were created due to rationing, Necessity being the mother of invention.  

I halved the recipe quantities for testing and left out the alcohol, since it is one of my IBS triggers.  It wouldn't be a Thank Banana it's Friday Recipe without the banana, so I switched the applesauce in the recipe for 1 medium banana - mashed.  

Once I poured the batter into my loaf tin I decorated the top with Banana chips.  

Top Budget tip:  Invest in 1 x jar Mixed Spiced Spice. The mix contains Cinnamon, ginger, cloves & nutmeg so why buy them separately.  Spice loses it's flavour the older it gets, so buying one jar makes more sense and reduces any food waste.



Taste Test:

I normally keep a few portions for my mum to test, for a non intolerant point of view. She didn't even get to see this one, let alone taste it.  

It has a lovely and moist cake, with a lovely mix of dried fruit and crunchy nuts.  The banana chips on top tasted good as well as being a great decoration.  

It is great on its own or with dairy free cream or custard for a dessert.  I ate it for dinner one night with Alpro custard.  There's something decadent about having dessert for your main meal.  

Forget normal fruit cakes this Christmas and make this one instead.  
You will not be disappointed xxxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding