body

Around the world with a tin of tomatoes - Dairy free




Canned tomatoes


Tinned or canned Tomatoes, whatever you want to call them, are one of my store cupboard staple foods.  As my IBS has got worse, Iv had to totally cut all dairy from my diet.  That includes checking packaging ingredient labels to check for hidden ingredients.

Making your own food from scratch is a lot less stressful and a lot more easier than you would expect.  It's a way of life for me now, all you need is a store cupboard with basic ingredients that can be turned into a multitude of different meals.

Iv recently noticed that a lot of those recipes started with a tin of tomatoes.  

How to Can Tomatoes The Bitten Word Blog give a 
step by step instruction guide to preserving tomatoes.  

Originally from Mexico Tomatoes have been grown in Britain since the 1590's.  In the summer I buy them fresh for Salads, while in winter I rely on the tinned variety.  Tomato's that are imported or cultivated out of season just never taste the same.  So why waste money when it's just as easy to buy them already skinned in a tin.


1. United Kingdom




Vegan Shepherd's Pie


Britain has been incorporating herbs and spices to their own cuisine for a few hundred years.  Most recently we have taken Bolognese from Italy and changed the recipe so much that it's no longer recognisable as a Italian food.


Vegan Shepherds Pie

Cream of Tomato Soup

Mushroom Bolognese

Tomato Lentil Soup



2. French


Vegetarian Cassoulet (white Bean Casserole)


Homemade Ratatouille is one of my mums favourite recipes.  She's not vegetarian, just loves vegetarian food.  It's not all boring....
Ratatouille

Vegetarian Cassoulet



3. Spain



Most Brits that go on holiday to spain stick to the British Pubs, cafes and restaurants.  A full fried breakfast just never appealed due to the hot weather.  When I go abroad I love to try as many local recipes as possible.  

Vegetarian Paella 

Patatas Bravas

Vegan Spanish Casserole



4. Greece
Vegan Moussaka. Photo by Prose


Another cuisine that's on my todo this.  I love making greek salads, just never made any greek hot dishes.  The vegan Moussaka below looks really good.
Vegan Moussaka

Vegan Pastitsio   Greek pasta dish

Briami 



5. Italy


Basic tomato pasta sauce recipe
www.channel4.com/4food/recipes



Forget paying over the head for jars of tomato sauce. Making your own takes just the same amount of time as heating a jarred sauce. 

 The recipe below is pretty close to my own recipes, except I buy the smart price tinned tomatoes and leave out the garlic.   Don't get me wrong I love Garlic, it just doesn't love me or my IBS.  

Basic Tomato sauce 

Marinara sauce

Penne al'arrabiata  (On of my personal favourites)

Vegan Spinach and Mushroom lasagna - (Use the basic tomato sauce recipe above)

Chunky Minestrone Soup



6.  Africa



www.Domestic Sluttery.com


I love the mellow spices used in African recipes. A hearty vegetable and chickpea tagine is a great comfort food for a bitter cold day.  


Chickpea Tagine

West African Barbecue sauce

Jollof Rice

African Sweet potato stew



7. India






A lot of recipes ask you to dice or chop tomato's.  This is great when they are in season, however when there not I unashamedly use tinned chopped tomatoes instead.

My love of Indian food started at a young age, when a Neighbour used to pass fresh made bhaji over the garden fence.  My mum always returned the favour and passed over her homemade jam.  they didn't speak each other language, but these 2 women communicated really well with food.  


Spicy Tomato & Lentil Dal   For a speedy version swap seeds for Garam Masala


Tomato Curry Sauce

Tomato Rice  Use a tin of chopped tomatoes
8. China


tomato eggs


Leave out fish sauce and swap prawns for cubed tofu to make this a hearty vegetarian noodle dish.

Noodles in chili tomato sauce - Use tin of plum tomatoes

Sweet and Sour tomato sauce  Use the basic tomato sauce recipe above or tin of tomato passata  

Bean curd Tofu in Tomato sauce  - Use tin of chopped tomatoes

Tomato Egg recipe  -Dairy free vegetarian recipe.  Can't wait to try this one out


9. North America


Easy Vegan Baked Beans. Photo by Vino Girl


Like everyone leaving the nest and moving into their first home, I was short of money.  Those first few months I ate a lot of beans on toast.  

I still love baked beans, only now I prefer to make my own.   I always associate baked beans with North America.  Probably due to all the cowboy movies I watched with my dad.  


Tomato based Barbecue sauce

Tomato Pudding

Easy Vegan Baked beans



10. South America

www.veganmexicanfood.com

Im addicted to watching the cooking channel, and I've branched out into more mexican recipes to spice up my veggie based menu.  

Vegan Tamale Pie  Most vegan mince substitutes use Yeast as a flavour component.  I used Red lentils to make my own version. I couldn't find vegan sour cream, so used plain vegan yogurt instead.  

Tortilla soup

Tortilla Lasagne   Use Tomato Passata, which is basically sieved tomatoes



With a few herbs and spices in your store cupboard, you really can go around the world with a tin of tomatoes xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding