body

Book Club

Chocolate Orange cake

Monthly Book Club tonight at my local library.  A night where a group of women meet  to talk (mostly) about a book we (should) all have read. It just so happens it also involves, wine and edible goodies.  Thanks to IBS my drinking days are over, so I use the night as an excuse to test recipes.

After reading the book we were given for this month I really needed to bake.  What can I say baking relaxes me and cheers me up.  I definitely needed it after this book.  If your into apocalyptic end of the world fiction then this is the book for you.  Personally I found it really Bleak.....  Why are these type of books always set in America?  I can't see America being the only target during a nuclear war!!!  Worse still it was a world with out cake's or cookies....  I made it my personal duty to make sure we had a chocolate boost after discussing this book.

Adding orange zest and the juice into a vegan chocolate cake recipe worked wonders.   The cake batter tasted great and the smell in the kitchen when the cake was baking was heaven. I couldn't resist testing a slice OMG.  I've had to control myself to not eat anymore till the book club tonight.

While the taste is great it didn't turn out totally perfect.  Mostly due to my choice of baking tin.  I really should have split it between 2 smaller tins to give an even bake.  The middle was more brownie like.  Also the recipe I'd found called for 250ml of vegan marg.  Now marg to me is a solid and I'm not about to melt a whole block just to measure out 250 ml.  I compromised by using 250g in case I'd made an error in writing the recipe down.  Would reduce this next time. 

 Hopefully when Iv perfected the recipe I can post it on my blog xxx






Comments

  1. Ooops seems I over did the orange in the Chocolate cake for most people. Think I'll stick to using just the zest next time. It did go really well with some warm Soya custard xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding