body

Rhubarb Rice pudding - dairy free


RHUBARB RICE PUDDING
WITH COCONUT YOGURT 
AND GRANOLA

This recipe came about by accident.  I'd been stewing some of my own homegrown rhubarb, to make a fruit compote only to find it released a lot of water.  I had soaked the rhubarb first to clean it, which led to the problem.

Watery fruit compote isn't brilliant, so I strained it through a sieve instead.  I was then left with at least 300 ml of rhubarb juice.  I just thought What if?  The jar of rice was right in front of me, so I decided to give it a try.

I followed a normal baked rice pudding recipe, but substituted the milk for the rhubarb liquid instead. I didn't have pudding rice, so I used normal white rice.  I think it works just as well.  I set the oven on low and left it to cook.  

Baked Rice Pudding

1 1/2 oz/ 50 g of Rice 
2 tbsp of sugar
1 pint of milk

Place all the ingredients in a casserole dish, and bake in a low oven 150 c or 
300 f for a least an hour and a half.  It will be ready to take out when all the liquid has been absorbed.  

(To make chocolate rice pudding, add 2 oz of grated chocolate 
in with the milk before adding the rice. ) 


Once the rice pudding was baked, I then added the rhubarb compote back into it.  

Adding fruit into a dairy or dairy free milk normally causes curdling, so making it this way is so much easier.  Even though I had added sugar the rice pudding was very sharp, so I served it with my favourite dairy free coconut yogurt on top.  Then finished it off with some granola and mixed seeds, for a healthy breakfast treat.  

I really love this recipe. The tartness of the rhubarb, the creaminess of the yogurt and the crunchy texture of the granola.

You could just as easily mix the yogurt directly into the rice pudding if you wished. 

 I'm happy to say this was probably one of my better What If? inventions.  I'm not sure if it would work with any other fruit, but hey ho there's nothing to lose by trying.  
  
Top Tip: When I want to make my cheats fruit crumble, I top my fruit compote with granola.  It's easier to make especially if you just want a portion for yourself.  You can eat it hot or cold, though I recommend adding the granola after you have heated your fruit compote.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding