body

Marmalade Flapjacks - Recipe and Product review





I'm happily sitting here with a cup of peppermint tea, and a tasty marmalade flapjack.  It seems to be a theme with me lately, buying products and not liking the taste.  The last time it was Peanut butter, this time.

Product review

 
Morrisons Thick Cut Marmalade

I always have marmalade on rice cakes along with my breakfast in the morning.  I'm very particular about the type of marmalade I like.  I love the kind with Peel in it. It also must have a sharp citrus taste.  Dundee in Scotland has a long tradition of producing marmalade, so it's probably a Scottish obsession.  

So I was very disappointed when I tried out Morrisons thick cut marmalade.  It has a nice amount of peel and I nice citrus kick, but then your left with the taste of burnt caramel in your mouth.  Not a very pleasant after taste.  

Recipe Review

I hate waste, so I wasn't going to throw it out.  So I decided to bake with it instead.   Flapjacks are a perfect recipe, or so I thought.  However trying to find a recipe was pretty tough.  I finally found one I thought looked good. 


Ironically she lives in Aberdeenshire, and I was born in Aberdeen.  The foodie part of her blog title is self explanatory.  The word Quine is Doric for a young lady or girl.  Generally it's really used for any female.  If you think thats strange down here in Fife they call all the women - Hen!!!

Flapjacks can be made Gluten free and vegan



The recipe is really easy to make, but I made a few adjustments to make it dairy free.  I also didn't add the baking powder, I didn't think it needed it.

Basically you melt all the wet ingredients together, then fold in the porridge oats in the same pan.  Once you have taken it off the heat.  Then all you need to do is press in down in your baking pan and bake.

She also suggested using some marmalade to make a glaze on top, but mine came out so moist I didn't think it needed it.  However not every bake turns out the same, so it's a good tip to keep in mind.

The extra added sugar and syrup, along with the oats blended out the burnt caramel taste for my marmalade.  So it worked a treat.

I had enough left in the jar to make myself another batch of flapjacks.  Marmalade is just a jam made with citrus fruits, so I was thinking perhaps other jams would work as well. For example Apricot.  I'll let you know if I give it a try.  

This recipe deserves 5 stars 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding