body

Moroccan style Falafel - Product review

Aldi

Aldi is a great budget superstore, selling their own brands products for a very competitive price.  Unfortunately I can not use it for my main shop, since I have many food intolerance's. 

They have on previous occasion celebrated gluten free month by stocking products, however in general they don't have much free from products in stock.  As a budget superstore, I can understand that these products are not their priority.

So it was with pleasant surprise when I was browsing their aisles for my favourite hummus, I discovered they were now stocking Falafel.

(Sorry but when your diets limited you do get excited by the smallest thing)


Falafel are small balls which are made primarily from ground chickpeas, and flavoured with herbs and spices.  They are usually served in pitta bread or flat bread, with salad and various sauces.  You can also serve them as part of a mezze.  


They have 2 kinds a Mediterranean and Moroccan style Falafel in their The Deli range.  Produced in a nut free environment, gluten free, dairy free, suitable for vegans.  Even better their baked rather than fried.  

I bought the Moroccan style version.  They only took 5 minutes to heat in the oven.  They do have instruction for the microwave, however I like them crispy on the outside.

They tasted pretty authentic and had a lovely spiced kick.  I teamed them up with mango chutney and mayonnaise.  (Real mayonnaise is dairy free but it does contain egg so not vegan)  Traditionally I would have made a yogurt dip.  

I really enjoyed them and would definitely buy these again.  I can't wait to try the Mediterranean version.

Another product they also stock is Soya milk and Almond milk in their long life milk section. Which are found on the shelf's rather than the fridge section.  

If you do have a food intolerance, it's well worth browsing the shelf's of budget superstores. For me it's like a treasure hunt, as shopping with a food intolerance 
can be expensive. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding