body

IBS - Part 2

WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU


First thing to remember is that we are all individuals.  In personality as well as our bodies. No matter what well meaning advice you get from friends and family.  Or that you might learn from your own research, it doesn't work for everyone.  It's good to try it if you think it's appropriate or suggested by your Doctor.  Just don't be disheartened if it doesn't work for you.


I was diagnosed over 20 years ago and I'm still learning, I thought it might be helpful to pass on some information that they don't always tell you in the Doctors office.  

1. GAS

Yeah the stuff we laugh about as kids.  Pumping too much or as I like to call it, releasing a gaseous substance.   (Just sounds more lady like) Is a sign that your IBS is about to flare up.  It's the reason certain vegetables are listed as ones to avoid.  If your keeping a food diary you'll soon figure out which ones they are.

For me these are most of the onion family, except leaks.  Leafy green veg like cabbage, lettuce and spinach.  

NB Fun fact - gas can move both up and down the digestive system.  It boggles the mind!!

2. STRESS

Do you remember being a kid and making yourself physically ill because you were scared or anxious about something.  It's the same thing as adults.  There's a link between stress, depression, anxiety and your digestive system.  It's possible to set off a flare up if your going through a stressful time.  Just be aware of it and not let it make you more stressed.

I use reading and yoga as stress busters.  Find yours xxx

3. TRIGGERS

Your triggers can change, just when you think you're on top of everything your IBS flares up again.  Best thing to do is start a food diary again.  It's annoying and it makes you question what you're doing wrong.  Believe me you haven't done anything wrong.

I started out being lactose intolerant, then added yeast to the list.  20 years later I've now added Gluten and a whole list of vegetables.    Being a pescatarian it doesn't help when I want to eat out.  


4. SYMPTOMS

Your IBS can get worse the older you get.  Of course I had to wait over 20 years to learn that one from my Doctor.  Remember we are all individuals so It might not happen too you. I'm also 43 yrs old, if you're younger it's probably something you wont have to worry about for a long time.  

I take antispasmodics 20 mins before I eat, to help my symptoms.  I also drink peppermint tea which is a natural antispasmodic.   There are other herbal teas that can aid digestion.  


5.  OTHER MEDICAL PROBLEMS

Finally be aware, other medical problems can set of your IBS as well.  Having a urine infection, basically a irritated bladder, can in turn irritate your bowels.  I also have Acid relfux or GORD problems, which can also set off my IBS.  I take pills to control this as well.  I also have another whole list of food to avoid to stop triggering this as well.  Including any deep fried food and my favourite tomato pasta dishes.    

Remember there is no stuck thing as a stupid question.  Even if your talking to your Doctor.
  
I remember going into my own Doctor 20 years ago, sitting down and saying "I don't know what's wrong, but some things not right"  while pointing to my stomach.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding