body

What do you eat? - Living dairy free





What Do I Eat

Breakfast


Free Porridge Royalty Free Stock Photo - 8192745


In winter I eat porridge and pimp it up.  My toppings change every week depending on what I'm in the mood to eat.  


- Cinnamon Apple compote
- Stewed Rhubarb
- Spoonful of Jam
- Sliced Banana
- Dried fruit
- Sliced pear
- Honey/syrup


Or you could add a teaspoon of cocoa powder to your porridge oats before cooking them, to make your own chocolate Porridge. 


Forget buying those little sachets, it doesn't take long to make your own from scratch. Your also going to save yourself some money.


I cook my porridge on the hob, so use a 3:1 ratio.  3 parts water too 1 part Oats. Weighing out the porridge oats is the last thing I want to do first thing in the morning.   Using American style measuring cups is a lot easier. If you don't have any try using a teacup or mug instead.


1/2 Cup of Porridge oats too 1 1/2 cups milk or water.  I'm from the North of Scotland so always make mine with water and a pinch of salt.  I love the sweet and salty combination, especially when I drizzle honey over the top. 


Then just follow the cooking directions on the side of the pack.  Warning it's safer to cook on the hob, microwaved porridge oats tend to explode!!!!



Lunch


- Honey Roast parsnip soup with Oatcakes
- Gingerbread muffin
- Apple


Normally when you have soup, you have some form of bread on the side.  Not really an option when your Gluten or yeast intolerant as in my case, so I now like to have oatcakes instead.







They also have a Gluten and lactose free range available


 If I make a thick Indian  lentil dahl soup I use chapatis or another flat bread to dip into my soup.  Crackers are another great substitute, especially crumbled on top.  I recently discovered that Ritz crackers are accidently dairy free. 


Accidently dairy free - A happy accident, when a product's recipe does not contain any dairy.  Though still not suitable for milk allergy suffers, in case other items in the factory might cross contaminate the product.

Dinner

-Sweet potato wedges with sweet chill sauce

Recipe:  Take one sweet potato and chopp into wedges, toss in a little vegetable oil and season.  Roast in a pre-heated oven for 20-30 minutes, till soft on the inside.  Same applies to normal wedges, so why buy the frozen pre-made kind. 

3 Good Reasons
1. Quick and easy to make
2. Cheaper
3. A lot healthier for you.

Snacks

- Kallo Dark chocolate covered Rice cakes
- Pear
- Oreo cookies


Now what I'm I going to eat tomorrow?....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding