body

Nasal Care - How to wash your nose


123RF

It's funny really I have no problem talking about my digestive issues or IBS, but never really talk about my nasal problems. 

For a really long time now Iv had a problem with my nose.  Iv been checked for allergies and told I don't have any, so the term they use for my problem is "sensitivity".  Therefore I have a sensitive nose!!! 

(It's always best to see the humour in any situation, no matter how bad)

All I know is that I have a near constant post nasal drip.  It's not like the mucus that you get when you have a cold it's often thinner and can drip at the worst possible times.

At work I'm constantly washing my hands after blowing my nose.  No matter what time of year it is:

whether it's sunny or cold one thing is contestant the drip from my nose....

Iv just had Turbinate reduction surgery to help with my problem, as I was finding it hard to breathe through my nose as well.

Iv tried sinus sprays before, and I hate to say this they don't work as well as nasal irrigation


Why do I need to wash my nose?

- Nasal Allergies, dryness & hay fever

- Nasal symptoms from Flu or cold

- Nasal irrigation from house dust, pet hair, grass, pollen or smoke

- Post nasal drip and nasal congestion.



Rinsing your nose is the safe way to help wash crusts and mucus from your nose.  Salty water helps pull fluid out of any swollen lining of your nose helping you breathe. This also helps to open up the sinus passage.

Truth:  It's not pleasant, but it works and is a simple and natural way to treat a medical problem. 

You can buy the solution, but it's a lot more cheaper to make your self. 

(Don't use on children unless recommended by a Doctor)

Nasal rinse recipe

1 pint of water  - (filtered or boiled and cooled)
1/2 level teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda

you'll also need:
20 ml syringe or douching bottle
tissues

- Mix all your ingredients together in a jug and either pour into your douching bottle or fill up your syringe.

- Standing over a sink or a bath, keep your head straight and aim the nozzle into your nostril.  Keep your mouth open and gently squeeze the mixture up your nose.

- The mixture should come out of your mouth or your other nostril, then repeat on other side.

- Try to do this at least 2 - 3 times a day.


Note: Have lots of tissues ready after wards

Why buy when you can make your own?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding