body

Eggnog recipes - Without the egg

Eggnog - What is it???

The traditional eggnog recipe is a basic homemade custard, spiced and thickened with egg. Cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg are the main spices used, adding alcohol is optional.  you can serve it either hot or cold depending on your preference.  

Even though the recipe originated in the UK, it's more popular in the USA. The drink seems to be mentioned or featured in nearly every American Christmas movie.  Frankly I had to look it up as I had no idea what was in it.

It sounds really similar in taste to a chai tea latte, one of my personal favourite hot beverages.  

It's not exactly vegan friendly recipe, however I've found some great dairy free recipes that you can make instead.



Girl makes Food blog

Vegan Egg - girl makes food

I really like this recipe, it looks quick and easy to make.  It also includes my favourite fruit banana 

Vegan Eggnog Recipe - BBC good food

This recipe takes a little time as, dates, cashews and apricots need to be soaked in brandy overnight.  If you don't drink alcohol, you could use chai tea or just water instead.  

Homemade Vegan Eggnog - The Spruce

This recipe uses a custard powder, to replace the egg in thickening the recipe.

Silk recipe - Vegan eggnog

Silken tofu is the base of this recipe.  It's a great substitute for cream, I use it to make tasty Chocolate mousse.  





Bailey's now have Gluten and Dairy free almond liqueur, that would work really great in any of the above recipes.  Alcohol is one of my IBS triggers, so I don't drink it.  Brandy, rum and whisky are the spirits used in the majority of the recipes I researched.  

While I love the flavour combination used to make eggnog, I have a hatred of thick milky drinks  they make me want to barf. 

There are a lot of eggnog flavoured recipes on line, just in case you don't like the taste or texture.  Instead of wasting it, try baking with it instead.  You can use it in recipes for pancakes, cupcakes and vegan mousse desserts just to mention a few. 

I made myself eggnog flavoured porridge for breakfast.  I cooked the oats with adding in a little mixed cake spices. Then I stirred in a mashed banana and topped with dairy free yogurt. For a final flourish I sprinkled on some mixed seeds and a drizzle of honey.  It's the perfect breakfast for our cold winter Scottish weather xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding