body

Positive Reinforcement

Positive Reinforcement
Noun: the offering of desirable effects or consequences for a behavior with the intention of increasing the chance of that behavior being repeated in the future.
Most people think of positive reinforcement when talking about kids or dogs.  I was first introduced to it during therapy for my Depression and Anxiety disorder. 
Instead of focusing on all the negative things that had happened or I had done, I had to also list the good.  At the end of the day I would create 2 mental columns in my head and list what had happened.
Negative
Went to swimming pool but couldn't go in.
Positive
I had tried and got as far as the door. 
Sounds simple, however I found it really hard to do.  Recently my Depression and Anxiety have been getting worse again.  Like a physical illnesses, mental health problems never really go away.  It's a condition that needs to be managed.  So Iv started doing positive reinforcement again.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding