body

What do you eat? - Oat Flour


 


Sorry Iv not blogged for a while, my laptop died on me.  Tried using my kindle, just wasn't the same.  So invested in a brand new one today x

I'm trying out the Low Fodmap diet, to see if it will help manage my IBS symptoms.  So far it's going well Iv had no severe stomach spasms for 2 months now. 

I already don't eat a lot of the foods on the list, so it was relatively easy to switch.  I love to bake so my biggest problem was giving up Wheat and Gluten.

Iv tried out a few Gluten free flours -   Dove Farms being the best one I have found so far.


Doves Farm 1kg Wheat Free and Gluten Free White Self-Raising Flour


There great for making cookies, but I am not so keen on them for cakes and Muffins.  You still get that bitty texture of the rice flour that's part of the mix.  After some research my solution was to add Oat Flour.

I use Oats a lot in my baking, especially in Muffins and Scones.  Finding out how easy it was to make Oat Flour was a revelation for me. 

Having IBS my main problem is food intolerances, so I'm alright with normal rolled oats.  If your a coeliac be sure to use Gluten free Rolled oats.  Oats themselves do not really contain Gluten, however they are often milled in environments that handle other Gluten containing Grains.

Making your own Oat Flour is really simple. 

OAT FLOUR
 
1 Cup Rolled Oats
 
- Measure out rolled oats into a Food processor, using the metal blade.  Turn on food processor and blend till it resembles whole wheat flour. 
 
If you plan to use for muffins then use as is, if you want to make a cake or cupcakes sieve for a smoother flour. 
 
 
I wouldn't recommend using 100% Oat flour for baked recipes, try using a 2:1 ratio.  One cup of Gluten free flour too 1/2 cup Oat flour.
 
 
Rough estimate
 
1 Cup = 4 Oz Flour
 
1/2 Cup = 2 Oz Flour
 
 
Online Tips and recipes


4 Tips for baking with oat flour

Baking with Oat Flour Vs Wheat Flour

Oat Flour Pancakes - Gluten free

Gluten free oatmeal cookies - Martha Stewart
- Use dairy free butter and a mashed banana as an egg substitute to make these Vegan



Give it ago, it's easy and cheap to do, and if you find other uses for it I would love to hear from you xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding