body

Quick meals: - Vegetarian and dairy free

10 EASY WAYS TO MAKE QUICK MEALS

When I talk about cooking with friends and family one familiar phrase I always hear is 

"I don't have the time"

Some Ready  meals take the same time to cook in the microwave, as I can make from scratch.  So no matter how much or little time I have, I am never far from a cooked meal.  
 
The best thing I ever did was not to replace my microwave when it broke.   It does not take that much longer to cook or re-heat food on the stove.

Making your own quick meals, cuts down on the additives you eat and more importantly it saves you money.   My food shopping bills have gone down and eating less processed food helps me manage my IBS symptoms. 

Still not convinced have a look below for my favourite quick meals.

No 1:   The 3 P's

- Pasta


 


Fresh pasta only takes a few minutes to cook.  Whereas Dried pasta takes between 10 - 12 Min's to cook.  To speed up the process I boil the water in my kettle first before adding to my pan, so it comes to a boil quicker.  

- Pasta, peas & Pesto

I keep a jar of Vegan Pesto in my Fridge and veggies in my freezer.  I add the peas in at the end of the cooking time, as they do not take long.  Drain the pasta and peas together, place back in the pan and add a large tablespoon of pesto.  Mix together for a few Min's  to heat through.  

- Pasta with Ratatouille 
- Pasta with tomato sauce

Before going to work, I take out a portion of homemade Ratatouille or tomato sauce  to defrost.  Once my pasta has cooked I drain it, then re-use the same pan to heat my sauce. Toss the pasta back in too heat through.


 Polenta



 
 
Basic Polenta recipe

Quick Cook Polenta is as easy to make as instant Mash potatoes.  Its also as versatile as potatoes, by adjusting the liquid you can make smooth or firm polenta.

Smooth is more like mashed potatoes, while firm polenta can be left to cool and set.  Then cut into portions of shapes and either fried or baked in the oven.  


Firm polenta freezes well once set. I am yeast intolerant and can not eat bread, so I love to use pan fried firm polenta as a bread substitute in my meals.


Try Topping with

- Poached Egg
- baked beans
- Ratatouille 


Polenta like pasta does not have much flavour, so you really need to add some during the cooking process.  I like to add salt, pepper and a knob of vegan butter to my water, before bringing to the boil.  The trick to cooking polenta is to constantly stir and gently shake the dried grain into the water. This stops it becoming lumpy.



Try adding to Polenta

-  Vegan Pesto
- Grated vegan cheese
- Herbs or spices
- Mustard 
- Chopped spring onions


Pizza

 
I'm yeast and lactose intolerant, so Pizza is one food I can't eat unless I make it myself.  

Yeast Free Pizza Dough

Making your own is pretty easy, just not very quick.  So I use yeast free breads as my base.  

Quick Pizza bases

- Tortilla 
- Pitta Bread
- Flat bread

I favourite toppings are vegan pesto, tomato, sun dried tomatoes and olives.  

Vegan cheeses are becoming more readily available, they usually have yeast added as a flavour component though.   So I'm personally not able to eat them.  

2. Make one, Keep one


Basic tomato pasta sauce recipe

Making a large quantity does not take much longer than cooking a single portion.   By making an extra portion you are producing your own ready meals. 

 To keep food safe, cool to room temperature before putting closing the lids of your airtight containers and storing in the freezer.  







3. Free Range Eggs


Eggs have got to be the original fast food.  When I have eggs in my Fridge I know Im only 5 - 10 mins away from a tasty meal.  



If you are going to eat eggs, please make sure they are Free range.  They do not really cost that much more than battery hen eggs, and they taste a lot better.  If you are not sure check out the information on the inside lid.  You open the lid any way to see if any are broken before you buy them.  

Egg info UK
Whether you buy cage, barn, free range or organic, a code will be printed on your egg.  The first number refers to the farming method; 0 = organic, 1 = free range, 2 = barn, 3 = cage.  This is followed by the country of origin and then the farm identification which is a specific code denoting the actual farm where your eggs were produced.

- Scrambled egg & spring onion Tortilla wrap

- Potato & egg Hash

- Mushroom Omelette

- Egg poached in Baked beans

- Soft Boiled egg with soda bread Soldiers  



4. Vegetables
 
 


I love vegetables, which turned out to be really lucky for me when I had to stop eating Dairy, meat and poultry products.  I was the kid that ate the veggies on my plate before anything else.  


Summer

Salads make a great quick meal, during the summer months.  While cooked vegetables are great in winter.

Carrot & Carrot CousCous salad



Pasta Salad:

 Make a double batch of Pasta, drain and rinse the extra portion in cold water.  Once cooled toss with a little vegetable or olive oil to stop it from sticking.  Keep in fridge and add veggies to turn into a pasta salad for the next days lunch.  



Winter

One of my ultimate comfort foods is Parsnip and Turnip Mash, vegan butter and lots of ground black pepper.  

Left vegetables are great for turning an ordinary omelette into a frittata.  

Fry leftover vegetables and top with a poached or fried egg.  If you do not eat eggs, you could add Cubed Tofu or vegan bacon instead.  


5. Beans and Pulses




 
Warm pea and Lentil salad  Using tinned green lentils makes this an even speedier meal.

Hummus - Its quick to make and is a great to eat with tortilla chips and salad.  If you don't or can't find Tahini leave it out. 

Tinned cooked beans:  You can get really good quality tinned beans now, which is great for quick meals.

- Hot or Cold beans tossed in your favourite salad dressing.

Easy vinaigrette
 
2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp. mustard
pinch of salt and pepper
4 tbsp. oil

Or stir through with pesto and your favourite salad veggies. 

Cheats bean chilli: -  Pour a tin of Ratatouille and mixed beans to a pan and heat up.  Add some ground chilli or a few drops of hot sauce for a little kick. 

Serve with quick cook rice or pasta.  For an extra indulgence top with grated cheese.



My own guilty pleasure quick meal is cereal,
in winter I make porridge and in summer cereal straight from the box. 
 I love mine topped with dairy free yogurt and chopped fruit mmm

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding