body

IBS - Food Diary's

IBS - Food intolerances


 



Iv not blogged for a while, mainly because my IBS has not been that great.  I can't get my normal medication as there's a problem with the manufacturer. 

The substitute they gave me isn't working.  I am limited in what I can take, since my form of IBS means I'm really intolerant too Dairy products.  I didn't discover till last year that most pills are bulked out with lactose.  I never imagined there would be enough to set of my IBS, unfortunately there was.

Why keep a food diary? -
 



Iv had IBS for nearly 20 years now, I didn't know what was wrong.  All I could tell the Doctor was that something wasn't right.  Id never heard of IBS before, the only reason I know I'm intolerant to Dairy and dairy products was by keeping a food diary.

Now 20 years on it's still the best method I know for working out which foods set of your IBS.  Ever one is different, sometimes its one food group or some foods eaten together. 


How to keep a food diary-


- (Irritable Bowl Syndrome Diet )

All you need is a note book, I split my day into Breakfast lunch, dinner and snacks. You can get more specific and write the times you ate as well. 

- (The Digestive system) 

Create your own IBS symptom scale or write a little note at the bottom of how your IBS has been on the day. 

Digestion times- vary for each individual. 
There is no normal, just what's normal for you. 
 
 
Looking back over your food diary you should be able to pick out the foods that have increases your IBS or food intolerance symptoms.  For me it was processed foods. I had already cut dairy and yeast products, but had wrongly assumed they wouldn't be added to certain foods. 
 
It may not be obvious what is setting off you IBS ,
if this occurs go to the Doctors.  Don't suffer in silence.
The first thing they or a nutritionist
will ask you to do is keep a food diary. 
 
 
I mostly cook from scratch now and make sure to check food labels when I go grocery shopping.  When in a cafĂ© or restaurant if I'm not sure, I always double check with the staff. 
 
Most of the time it's not a problem, they can guide me on what to choose.  Or offer to make something without dairy or leave out an ingredient. 
 
 Eating out with a food intolerance
 is a good way to gauge customer service.
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding