body

IBS: - Sugar versus Artificial Sweetener







Wikipedia:

Sugar
Sugar  is the generalised name for sweet, short-chain, soluble carbohydrates, many of which are used in food.  Sugars are found in the tissues of most plants but are only present in sufficient concentrations for efficient extraction in sugarcane and sugar beet.

Sugar substitute 
A sugar substitute is a food additive that duplicates the effect of sugar in taste, usually with less food energy. Some sugar substitutes are natural and some are synthetic. Those that are not natural are, in general, called Artificial Sweeteners





Irritable Bowl Syndrome
-IBS


Since my IBS and food intolerance's have progressively gotten worse Iv been forced to not only think about what I eat, but look at what's in it and how it was made.

 It's been a strange and often mind boggling journey into food.  I ignore logic and never assume that ingredients I am intolerant too have not been added to the food. 

I still can not understand why milk powder is added to muesli, or why milk is pumped into chicken roll!!!!

I wrote a blog last year on the hidden secrets in our food, highlighting why some products can not be labelled vegetarian.  (Is sugar Vegetarian and Vegan


Everyone with digestive problems have different triggers, one of mine lactose intolerance

What does this have to do with sugar?....  

Lactose is a type of sugar found in milk and dairy products.  When I learnt this, it made so much more sense to me why I had to watch how much sugar I ate.   Common sense would suggest switching to artificial sweeteners, however for IBS sufferers this can often be worse.



- Sugar Alcohols can cause bloating and diarrhoea

- Sorbital, lactitol and mannitol are all poorly absorbed by the body and can act as an irritant to the digest system.

- Sorbitol in particular if consumed in large quantity's can have a laxative effect.

The first thing to remember about IBS is the symptoms are as individual as the person that has them.  What's safe for one sufferer is not always safer for someone else. 

There are some arguments that it is not the artificial sweeteners themselves that cause the problem but the processed foods that there part of. That are bodies were never designed to handle the amount of ingredients added to processed food. 

- Carbs in reheated processed food are difficult for the body to digest.

If you already know that artificial sweeteners are one of your triggers , here are some names to watch for on food packaging.

- Stevia
- aspartame
- saccharin
- sucralose
- neotame
- Acesulfame potassium


Sugar

Sugar it's self can also be an IBS trigger, I know this because it's one of mine.  I am okay with foods that are naturally sweet like fresh and dried fruit. However the sugar in cookies, cakes, and desserts (basically anything sweet and tasty)  my digestive system can not handle in large quantity. 

I know my friends and family find it really strange that I can portion sweets and chocolate, to make sure I don't eat to much.  It's a trick I learnt while on the weight watcher diet, what can I say It works for me.

(You have got to see the humour of having IBS. 
Some of the things we do to manage it are kind of ridiculous!!!)

I even broke down my dairy free chocolate Easter egg into 4 portions and put them into different containers.  The memory of stomach cramps does wonders for my self control....

NHS Website


Sugar should only be 10% of our daily calorie intake.  Most of the sugars we eat are consumed through processed foods


Look for the following on labelling:-

- Corn Sugar     - honey
- dextrose          - invert sugar
- fructose           - isoglucose
- glucose syrup  - levulose/fruit sugar
- sucrose            - maltose
- molasses


Foods to watch for....



Biscuits, buns and cakes
- Have as a treat instead of a regular habit.

Sugar, Preserves and confectionery
I stick to dark chocolate 70% as it contains less sugar than plain or milk chocolate.  Dark chocolate is less likely to have dairy added, great when your also lactose intolerant. 

Alcoholic drinks
- A standard Glass of wine can contain as many calories as a piece of chocolate. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.

Non Alcoholic drinks
- Fruit Juice (pure and concentrated) are high in natural sugar.  Limit to 150ml per day. 

Dairy/non dairy Products
- Flavoured milk, yoghurt's and ice cream, including lower fat varieties all have added sugar.

Savoury Food
- Stir in sauces, salad cream, ready meals, marinades, chutney and crisps. 





For my type of IBS Artificial sweeteners are more dangerous than sugar,
this wont be the same for everyone.
 As long as I control the amount of sugar I eat it does not cause
 me any adverse effects.
 If you have IBS work out which is best for you xxx









 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding