body

Vegan Christmas dinner ideas

Free from Christmas Recipes

Christmas Star Cookies

I dread the Christmas season every year, since most of the festivities revolve around food.  I feel almost apologetic explaining my food intolerance's to people.  I'm the awkward person who's food requirements need to be taken into consideration. 

While other people look forward to their works night outs or Christmas meals with friends , I end up researching the chosen  restaurant menu's to see not what I want to order, but what meal I can actually eat.  It's not a easy as you would think, as most vegetarian options include some form of cheese, or hidden Gluten.  I never really enjoy what I end up eating.  

Being invited to family or friends house for Christmas dinner, fills me with anxiety and fear. I find it's more tactful to turn the invitation down, than try to explain my dietary needs.  If you have family or friends with the same problems as I am, Ive found some tasty and interesting vegan recipes that would fit right in with a festive menu. 

 

Breakfast ideas

Coconut Pancakes  - hot for food blog


Starter ideas

Fig & Rocket Salad

white Bean and sun dried tomato pate - veg kitchen

Pate or hummus are great served with oatcakes and spiced chutney.  You could also serve roasted red pepper or artichoke on the side.

Aubergine, tomato & pine nut rolls - Vegan Recipe Club

Beetroot and red onion tart recipe - BBC Good food

Gluten Free pastry is now easy to find in most supermarkets

You could serve the same starter for the other guests, instead of stressing about making 2 separate ones.  

Sides

If we are totally honest with ourselves, it's the side dishes that are the best part of Christmas dinner.  

Vegan Yorkshire pudding - BBC Food

Lemon roast Potatoes - Jamie Oliver

I love using a lemon dressing with new potatoes, this recipe takes it to another level.  

Roast Potatoes with paprika - BBC Good Food

I like using smoked paprika on potato wedges, it gives them a barbecue taste. 

Red Cabbage, beetroot and apple saute - Vegan Recipe club

Swede Dumplings - Veganuary

The side dishes have always been our families most favourite part of the Christmas meal.  They add the festive into what would be a normal sunday dinner.  I was one of those strange children who would eat my vegetables before the meat on my plate of food.  I joke that am an accidental vegetarian.  

Mains

Artichoke & wild mushroom Strudel - Vegan Recipe Club

Shallot and Chestnut pie - Vegan recipe club

Apricot & Chestnut Aduki balls with gravy  - BBC Food
An alternative idea for Christmas dinner

Pumpkin Macaroni Cheese - Veganuary

Almond & lentil Stew - BBC Food

Served with a broth 

Cauliflower & Sweet Potato fritters  - Veganuary

Personally am not a fan of the generic nut roast that always seems to be served as the vegetarian alternative for Christmas dinner.  The majority of the ones you find in shops to buy either contain dairy or gluten, meaning they are inedible for me.  

I've also never been a fan of Vegetarian foods that are make to look like meat counterparts.  Fake mince or Chicken do nothing for me, Id rather be more creative and use real vegetables and grains to make a stunning festive meal. Desserts

There's no need to eat your dessert straight away, especially if it's a heavy Christmas pudding.  Take a Christmas day walk first, to get back your appetite.  Since I don't drink alcohol and much prefer a cup of tea with my dessert.  

Vegan Chocolate Brownies - Vegan Recipe Club

Vegan Chocolate Pots - Jamie Oliver


I've made a similar version of this recipe, just using silken tofu and melted chocolate.  You don't need to add the other ingredients, however I like the idea of adding vanilla extract.




Ice cream and Cookies - For an easy to prepare vegan dessert, buy dairy free ice cream and serve with a Free from Cookie over the top or crushed and mixed into the ice cream. Drizzle  this
Homemade chocolate sauce over the top.  

Roasted peach sundae - Warm peaches roasted with brown sugar are perfect topped with a dairy free ice cream. 


Homemade Present ideas 






Vegan Pralines - Peta website

vegan Candied Nuts - A virtual vegan

Chocolate drizzled popcorn.

Buy a bag of sweet and salty popcorn, spread out flat on a tray or baking sheet.  

Melt a bar of dark or dairy free chocolate, using a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water.  Don't let the water touch the bottom of the bowl.

Remove from the heat and drizzle chocolate over the popcorn.  Leave to set, then with clean hands mix the popcorn together.


(if any chocolate is left in the bowl add in some dairy free milk and make your self a mug of hot chocolate)

You can place in a glass mason jar, or a food grade cellophane bag.  I love to tie ribbon around the top to give them a festive touch.  The mason jars can also get the same treatment.  These make a special homemade present.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding