body

Is the great is honey vegan debat

Why Honey is not Vegan


Definition of Veganism

A philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practise of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

There has been a big debate among vegans over whether honey can be eaten or not.  Since technically the Bees make the honey, so taking it from them is considered as exploitation. One article I read even went so far to say it should be considered as animal cruelty.

Other arguments made say bees pollinate the majority of our vegetable and grain harvests.  Some producers have their own bee hives just for pollinating their crops. Which could also be considered exploitation.  So how far do you go?

I first started researching dairy free recipes, after I became lactose intolerant.  It was thanks to vegan blogs and websites that I rediscovered my love of baking and cooking.  However a few of the comments pages really disturbed me.

One women had asked the simple question can I eat honey.  To put it in context, she had just recently decided to become vegan for ethical reasons.  She was asking simply for information.  Some of the replies where really nasty.  I wont going into detail, but they were less than friendly ways of basically saying she can't couldn't herself vegan if she ate honey.  

I was really surprised, why would they treat her this way?  All she had done was ask a simple question.  Wouldn't you want to help someone out, in support of your ethical beliefs.  

It seems to be part of a trend.  There is a belief that the best way to highlight the cause is to use shock tactics and statements.  Which I disagree with, as personally these turn me off and make me switch the channel.  In fighting to stop animal cruelty caused by farming, they forget to show equal empathy towards their fellow humans.  

Negative campaigning does not work. Showing shock images and venomous comments only turns the viewer off.  I once received mail through the door on animal cruelty.  The outside of the envelop showed a photo of an abused and started dog.  I have long term mental health problems and the image really disturbed and upset me.  It was one of my bad days and it made me angry.  There are other more vulnerable people out there.  Do they really need to see those type of images without their consent.

Using positive statements and imagery is more likely to engage the reader. Showing how much better life is for the animal, the environment and the health of the individual will gather more support for their movement.  

Encouraging individuals to go vegan for a month, or try a vegetarian diet first, has a greater chance of changing people's diets.  The recent trend of celebrities following a vegan diet for their health has shown this works.  

I am not a vegan, however I respect and admire their ethical views.  I am a lactose and gluten intolerant pescatarian. Though Vegan blogs have helped influence my relationship with food and the problems of our consumer culture. Which in turn has led to my own research and become more knowledgeable on the subject.  I might not be vegan but veganism has changed the way I eat.  

I make a point in my blog of not describing myself as a vegan, as I find it disrespectful to vegans. I think it's important to be clear on this point.  I also like to note the difference between having a vegan diet and being a vegan. Those following a vegan diet are doing so for health and not for to ethical reasons.  

I personally take a holistic approach to my health, if something I eat makes me ill then I'm going to listen to my body.  Humans and other animals were never meant to drink milk from other species, which is why so many of us are lactose intolerant or have milk allergies.  Especially among people from Asia.  

I don't eat meat or poultry because my digestive system really doesn't like it.  I could have left it there, but after reading vegan blogs I discovered there were other hidden animal derived ingredients that were in our foods.  

I've since turned my mother of jelly babies, after I told her how gelatin was made.  I have became more knowledgeable on environmentally problems.  How our consumer culture demand for cheap palm oil has caused mass destruction of our rain forests all in the name of profit.  Destroying the natural habitat of the Orangutans and other animals.  Leading them to now be added to the endangered species list.  

It shows that it is not only our consumption of animals products that has led to animals suffering.  The bigger debate is how our demand products and lower prices is damaging our self's, wildlife and the planet.  We have lost our connection with the food we eat, and in turn our respect for our food.


The great honey debate is just one example of this.  Is honey vegan?  If we go by the definition of veganism then that would be NO. However there is one phrase that stands out. 


as far as is possible and practicable

Looking at the question from an environmental point of view, would the plight of the bee be making the news if we didn't love honey.  There are currently petitions to the EU to ban pesticides that harm the bees. 

There are often items on the news of bees making homes in unfortunate places like cars and homes.  Bee keepers are skilled at moving them with no harm.  In the past exterminators would have been called instead.  

The majority of Bee Keepers in the UK are hobbyists, who have a real love for conservation of the species.  There are around 275 Species of bumble bee world wild, with 25 of these found in Britain.   We have lost 2 species since records began in the 1940's.    With out these bee keepers how many more would have been lost to pesticide use.  

Bee products have been used for their medicinal properties for thousands of years.  I personally use the honey for the sore throats I get, due to my acid reflux.  Honey has natural antibiotic properties.  Honey can be used to help treat burn victims.  Eating local honey has also been seen to help hay fever suffers.  


Honey has been produced for over 4500 years, and used in many holistic remedies.  

I take a lot of medication to manage my mental and physical health problems.  Medication that might have been made using animal testing or ingredients. For me it would not be practical to be able to go 100% vegan. There are no alternatives for me to take and my health would suffer.  

So the question is this can someone call themselves vegan, if they use honey for medicinal reasons.  I think they should, but others might disagree. 

Regardless of my opinion the great honey debate will continue to go on.  

Links - 


Does purchasing Honey harm the bees?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding