body

People Power



Last week I did something I have never done before, I contacted the customer service's at Costa Coffee and Starbucks.  I just got so fed up of going out for coffee and never being able to get something to eat. 


There is nothing worse than standing in a queue and walking past a display of cakes and cookies.  Knowing that you can't eat any of them without becoming ill. 


Or the look on the face of your friends and family when they realise you can't eat anything.  They get more annoyed than I do, which is probably why I decided to give them some feedback.


There is more general awareness in catering sector of Gluten intolerance and Celiac disease. Which has led to increased choice in the food available.  However dairy and lactose intolerance has not been given the same attention.  Even though more of us are diagnosed each year.  Add to that the increasing number of people choosing to follow a vegan diet for ethical or health reasons. 


My current choices: 


Costa Coffee's Gluten free Mini Bake well tarts, which just happen to also be dairy free, or ready salted crisps. 


(Unfortunately milk powder is often added to other crisps flavours to improve the mouth feel)


Starbucks: Crisps or sweet and salty popcorn. 


Starbucks and Costa Coffee the two biggest coffee chains in Britain, so it baffles me they are so slow in picking up this trend.


Of the two e-mails I sent Iv so far only had one reply from Starbucks.   I have a rule, I can't moan or complain about anything unless Iv done something constructed to resolve the problem. 


I know it's only one e-mail, but if more of us sent feedback to our local cafe's and restaurants then perhaps the change will happen a little quicker xxx






To: ukinfo@starbucks.com


I'm a big fan of Starbucks, even though I am lactose intolerant.  Your cafe's have become a safe place I'm guaranteed to get a drink of my favourite Dairy free Chia tea latte.  My problem is that you have very little that I can actually eat, since you do not have any dairy free cakes or biscuits. 
The introduction of your sweet and salty popcorn was great, however it's not the seem as treating yourself to a cake or treat.  Surprisingly it's my friends and family that are more annoyed, many choosing not to buy food if I can't find anything for myself. 
Major supermarkets all have there own line of free from products, it would be great if your cafe's had them as well.


Yours
Sharabelle
 



Reply




Dear Sharabelle,
 
Thank you for contacting Starbucks.
 
I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with the availability of non-dairy food items in our stores.  
Our food range is regularly reviewed to ensure we consistently offer a popular and varied range of products. We conduct taste trials and listen closely to customer feedback and if we feel our food can be improved then we may change the recipe. Please be assured that your comments regarding our food range has been shared with our food development manager for her interest and consideration.
 
We value your feedback and, as a gesture of goodwill, I would like to send you some beverage vouchers for use on your next visit to our stores.  Please let me know which postal address you would like them sent to.
 
We hope to welcome you back to Starbucks soon.
 
Sincerely,
 
Christyna J
customer service
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding