body

Waste not, Want not ... - Discontinued stock

Artichoke hearts
 
  
 
I enjoy trying out new ingredients, however I don't always have the money to buy them.  Which is why I love the discount and ugly veggie shelves at my local supermarket.  My bargain ingredient this time was a can of Artichoke hearts. 
 
Then comes the problem, my enthusiasm takes over and I am left wondering what to do with them!!!   Iv only eaten them once before on a pizza, so had no idea what to do....
 
 
 


Vegetarian times is a great resource for inspiring recipes.  Just because you have a limited diet doesn't mean it should be boring.  I made there Chickpea, artichoke heart and tomato salad.  It tasted great and didn't take long to make, will definitely be making this recipe again. 






Chickpea, artichoke heart & tomato salad

To make this Dairy free,  you could replace the feta cheese with some diced tofu. Marinated first in the same vinaigrette from the recipe. Or as Iv done just left it out, there were enough great flavours. 


Easy artichoke barigoule - The Kitchn

This recipe uses frozen artichokes, however It should also work with tinned. 


Spinach and Artichoke dip recipe - Clean Green Simple

Artichoke dip recipe - Daily burn


I added the second half of my jar of artichoke hearts to my homemade humus recipe. 



 
Artichoke humus


Basic humus recipe

1 can chickpeas - drained and rinsed with cold water
1 - 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste

Blitz till it reaches your own preferred texture.  Store in fridge for 3 days in an airtight container. 

For my artichoke version I added it along with the chickpeas into my mini blender and blitzed.  I don't like mine too smooth or it starts to remind me of baby food.

I only needed 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, since there was enough moisture from the artichoke. 

Finally added a little salt and pepper to taste.

My version isn't really authentic since it doesn't have tahini paste or garlic, however it still tastes great.  It also makes a great base for making your own variations.


Variations

- Use cannellini beans instead of chickpeas

- Add  chopped sun dried tomato's or blitz them and stir in.

- Add  roasted red pepper diced, or blitz to flavour your hummus.   

- Add the zest and juice of a lemon

- Fresh herbs, mint would be lovely.  Or some chopped chives or spring onion. 



If no one buys the discontinued stock, best before sell date items or ugly fruit and vegetables there going to be throw out any way.  It's a great way of reducing waste, and saves you some money at the same time xxx










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding