body

Product Review - Nairn Oat Biscuits dairy free







What are Oatcakes? - Wiki

As a Scot I'm pretty serious about my Oatcakes, which means there shouldn't be any dairy in the recipe.  

I get annoyed at food producers who add diary to products that shouldn't have any
Being lactose intolerant is hard enough!!!! 

The traditional recipe calls for lard or dripping, more modern baking production uses vegetable oil or palm oil instead.   Which makes their Oatcakes naturally dairy free and vegan friendly. 

All except the cheese ones..... You would be amazed how many people ask.  It doesn't seem to compute that cheese is made from milk!!!!!!

They do make other products that contain milk so I would not recommend them for milk allergy sufferers.

 
I'm also yeast intolerant so can not eat bread.  Instead of sandwiches for a light lunch I like to eat savoury crackers, like Oatcakes.  I love to top them with humus or peanut butter. They are also a great bread substitute for dipping into soup. 

Nairn's a Scottish company, have been baking Oatcakes for over a hundred years. I like to support local Scottish produce so was really interested in trying out there new sweet Oat biscuits.   




Gluten free range - Nairn also have a dedicated Gluten free range. 

When are Oatcakes not Gluten free?

- When they are ground in a mill that produces other grains like wheat.  They can only be considered Gluten free if milled in a Free From environment,
 which stops any cross contamination. 

Verdict

I loved these oat biscuit, my favourite was the stem ginger,  I also enjoyed there mixed fruit and spice oat biscuit.  They look like simple biscuits but they are packed full of flavour. My mum loved them as well, so have the seal of approval from someone that doesn't have any food intolerances. 

Even better they are also sold in a mixed variety pack, with portions individually wrapped. Making them perfect for popping into your bag for an emergency snack. 

I'll definitely be buying these again, there perfect for slipping into my handbag. 


IBS: Always have an emergency snack.  You never know if
 your going to find something you can eat when your out. 
 
Eating little and often and drinking plenty liquid help avoid
IBS stomach cramps. 


Check out the Nairn Website to find your nearest retailer x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding