body

Waste not, want not - Buy one, get one free

 
 
Waste not, want not
 
 
 
Buy one, get one free......
 
Basic tomato pasta sauce recipe
www.channel4.com/4food

 
We all get taken in by Buy one, get one free bargains at the Supermarket.   Packaged foods are usually okay as they have a longer shelf life, however fresh food can cause problems.

Before you buy.........
 
1. Check the best before date - Will you have enough time to eat it.  Can it be frozen?
 
2. Shop with a friend - My mum and I often shop for vegetables together and split the produce. That way we save money and reduce food waste.
 
3. Do you really need it? - This is a big one for me, I can get excited when I find a new product that I can eat. Especially when there is so much food that I can't....... It's easy to get carried away. 
 
4. Make your own ready meals

On my days off from work I like to make my own ready meals, so multi buys of fruit and vegetables are great value for money. I make a large quantity of food, eat a portion for dinner and portion the rest into freezer containers. 

It makes life so much simpler when I'm working the late shift or if I need something portable that I can be heated in the staff canteen microwave. 

Making a large quantity does not take much longer than cooking a single portion.   By making an extra portion you are producing your own ready meals.  The big plus for me is I know what's in them and don't have to worry about hidden ingredients that will set off my IBS. 


Make one, Keep one

 To keep food safe, cool to room temperature before closing the lids of your airtight containers and storing in the freezer.  



Easy Vegetable Chilli Recipe

TOP TIP: 
Keep the plastic containers you get when you order a takeaway or fresh ready meals.  There perfect for this and save you having to buy any   xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding