body

Waste Not want not - Milk

 
 
 
 
Milk about to pass best before date
 
Waste Not Want not
 
 
 
Since my mum has moved back to Fife, Iv started to buy Semi skimmed milk to keep in the fridge for when she visits.  Only problem I have is I'm left with milk I can't drink because I am Lactose intolerant.
 
While I always have Dairy free milk in the fridge for myself, I find I only really use it too make hot chocolate or when baking.  Again I end up with the same looming expiration date problem.
 
I hate throwing anything out let alone food.  I usually pass it on to someone that can make use of it, or in the case of milk.....  I bake.
 
My mum has not had to buy Scones in a while, since she has a constant supply ready to defrost from my freezer.  Funny enough my bottom freezer drawer is now totally taken over with baked goods for my mum. 


This weeks Waste not Want not post is dedicated to how to use up milk.

Freeze



Dairy council

How to freeze milk
 

Milk like most foods can be frozen.  You can use the container it came in if it has a well fitted lid.  Or I like to use airtight plastic bottle.
 
All liquids expand when frozen due to the formation of ice crystals. So make sure you leave an Inch gap at the top of your container so it does not burst.
 
- It does take a while to thaw out, however it's great for life's little emergency's.  Whether your ill, snowed in or end up with an unexpected overnight visitor.
 
You can also freeze butter and cheese



DRINK

 

If your dairy or non dairy milk is getting near its expiration date, don't pour it down the sink.  Make your own version of your favourite Coffee shop drink. 

Mexican Hot Chocolate - I love using Nut milks like Almond and hazelnut to make Hot Chocolate.  . 

Pumpkin Spiced Latte  - Using different milks is a great way of flavouring your drinks.  Try Hazelnut milk to make a latte. 

One Minute Smoothie  - A great basic recipe that you can change by using different fruits. 



 
BAKE
 
 
Cherry Scones
 
My go to recipe for using up extra milk Iv bought in for my mum.  Just so happens Scones especially homemade ones are one of her favourite treats. 
 
 Scones - Dried fruit, nuts and citrus zest can all be added to create different flavours depending on your mood. 

Pancakes - Add fresh berries to make these pancakes a perfect brunch treat. 

Soda bread - Since I am also yeast intolerant this is the only bread I can eat. 
 
 
COOK


 
 
 
 
- Great base recipe for a lot of different sauces and meals.
 
 
 
Parsley sauce  - Add 1 oz Fresh Parsley - Chopped
 
Alfredo sauce - Garlic version
 
Mac n cheese - Here is a Vegan Mac n Cheese for those lucky enough not to be intolerant to yeast. 
 
Cauliflower with cheese sauce - Since I can not eat Vegan cheese I would leave it out of this recipe for Cauliflower and broccoli cheese and add a little nutmeg instead. 
 
Curry sauce - Top roasted vegetables with this Simple curry sauce


DESSERT

 
 
You can buy really good dairy free Custards, but why not make your own.  I love Birds Custard Powder, It's a British Cultural icon.  I am part of a generation that grew up on it. 
 
There Traditional Custard Powder is Dairy free and vegetarian.  It's corn flour based, so all you need to do is add your own dairy free milk.  Best of all you just make what you need, so nothing is wasted. 


Vegan Custard recipe - Use this recipe to make your own without the Birds custard powder. 

Strawberry Ice Cream

Chocolate Panna Cotta


The next time your milk is getting close to the expiration date, use it as a good excuse to treat yourself xxx
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding