body

Why I don't bake anymore....

I set up this blog as a creative tool to help me cope with my mental health problems with Depression and Anxiety. I also have IBS and a very limited diet.  Finding out new recipes and sharing them on this blog allowed me to rediscover my joy of eating and food.  Which is often lost in lose of us who have to watch what we eat.

My IBS got worse again and I found myself in a lot of pain, then discovered I also had acid reflux and a whole list of new foods to avoid.

After researching I discovered the Low Fodmap diet  

"The term FODMAPS is an acronym that stands for Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols. They are a collection of poorly absorbed simple and complex sugars that are found in a variety of fruits and vegetables and also in milk and wheat."  (The IBS Network)

It sounds complicated but it lists the foods most likely to cause problems for those of us with IBS.  I knew I was already lactose intolerant, so it wasn't that big a change for me.  

I gave up Gluten and wheat containing foods, and also avoiding the vegetables and fruit that was most likely to cause me problems.  It helped a great deal and my symptoms got better.  The only problem I found was how to bake Gluten free.  

Gluten free baking

It's easy to bake dairy free, it's easy to bake egg free, however it's not easy to bake Gluten free!!!!   

It's just as cheap to bake dairy free and egg free, it's expensive to bake Gluten free.  

I used to bake every week for myself, but the reality is that your cheaper buying Free From bake goods than make them yourself.  The range in most major supermarkets has improved and their own brand Free From products are reasonably priced. 

Morrisons

Tesco

Sainsbury's

Asda

M&S


 I also have the added benefit that Free From food, especially bread products are often marked down when they get near their sell by dates.  So I can buy them up products and freeze them to save money.  

Eating on gluten free diet is not easy but it was worth while for me, it stopped the uncomfortable  and often painful bloating.  It also stopped the other embarrassing  problem of gas, there's nothing worse than having a conversation with someone and letting one rip.  It can be comical, however when you experience it all the time it made me paranoid and anxious.

I loved baking, but it just doesn't make sense anymore.  I don't bake for friends and family because I can no longer test them to see if they taste okay.  I might have lost my joy of baking, however I have not lost my enjoyment in food xxxx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding