body

Waste Not Want Not - Ooops

Waste not, Want Not
Oops Kitchen Problems
 
 
We've all had them, those little Oops moments in the kitchen.  Last year I was making 3 bean vegetarian chilli and instead of flicking the top on my hot sauce bottle, I twisted the lid off instead. 
 
Went right ahead shook the bottle the way I normally do, only this time I poured in nearly half the bottle instead of a few drops. I  like my food with a kick to it, just not that much of a kick!
 
Most people would have just dumped the chilli, but since I'm a thrifty Scot my first thought was how do I save this. 
 
If I had had an extra tin of tomato sauce I would have poured it straight in too dilute the Spice.  Instead I decided to substitute cous cous for the rice, made some up and stirred through the very hot Chilli.  To my surprise it worked, the bulk of the plain cous cous made the chilli edible with out burning the lining of my stomach.
 
Iv collated a few helpful tips, that should cover most cooking problems. 
 
Kitchen Oops Solutions
 
 
My first choice is too add more bulk to the recipe to dilute it down, you also end up with an extra portion you can freeze.  The dilution method should also work if you add too much Herbs. 
 
 
I only add a little salt and pepper into a recipe while its cooking, I can always add more at the end to adjust seasoning.  If your worried about the amount of salt in a recipe, go with your instincts.  Seasoning is all down to personal taste. 
 
 
When I add to much Vinegar or lemon juice to a salad dressing I just add a little more vegetable oil to balance it out.  You can always keep the extra dressing in an airtight container in your fridge. 
 
 
If you add to much sugar into a cake or cookie recipe it can change the finished product.  Work out how much extra you have added and increase the recipe by adding more of the other ingredients.  Strange but true, Sugar counts as a liquid in baking recipes which is why it can cause problems. 
 
 
I never add sugar to my homemade Marinara Sauce, instead I add Tomato Ketchup.  It already has sugar in it.  The ketchup boosts the tomato taste and helps even out the tartness of the tinned tomatoes. 
 
 
To Thicken my soup I like to add red lentils, you don't need a lot and they add protein to a veggie soup. With a limited diet due to my IBS, making sure I eat enough protein is important. 
 
Another trick is too use a hand blender is to remove half the soup and puree, then stir back in. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding