body

Vegan Cornish Pastie Recipe testing

And how not to crimp one



Veggie Cornish Pastie - Badly Crimped

Typical Scottish weather - Today for a change we have torrential rain......again.  Since the weekend the weather has jumped between a brilliant sunny spring day too heavy rain in a matter of minutes.  I swear it's had more mood swings than I do and I'm a women with an Anxiety Disorder.

On the bright side I have no reason to leave the house today.  So I decided to do some cooking instead.  Iv been wanting to recipe test the Vegan Cornish Pasties recipe from the Vegan Society Web Site.



I prefer to use Trex for making pastry, I think it gives a better texture.  The finished result tasted good.  Personally I'd cook the veg for the filling a little longer than 15 Min's.  They were still on the al dente side.  For the other 3 that I've  made up, I'm going to lower the cooking temp and bake them for longer. Hopefully that will cook the veggies more with out burning the pastry.

TOP TIP:  Always rest pastry in the fridge for a least 30 Min's before using.  Chilled dough makes a better pie.

What a real Cornish pastie should look like


The only major problem I have is that I can't crimp.  Not to be mixed it up with krumping, ones a dance style and the other is a style of sealing pastry. Normally i just use the end of a fork to seal pastry, but Cornish pasties have there own iconic crimp style.

TOP TIP: Once your pies are made, allow to rest in the fridge again before baking.  (no idea why, just know it bakes better!!!)

If you want to make your own vegan Cornish pastie try Paul Hollywood crimping tutorial before having a go yourself.  Also try boiling or steaming your veg, instead of saute in a frying pan.  This should make your pie less toothsome.

TOP TIP: Always leave your filling to cool before making up your pies, otherwise the heat might make your pastry hard to manage.

So far iv learnt quite a few ways of how not to crimp Cornish pasties,
 here's hoping i get it right next time xx 






Comments

  1. I'm a lover of pasties in any shape or form - but not necessarily with any filling. But I'd definitely give your veggie version a try for a change. ♨

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding