body

The Orange Juice Experiment



Orange_fruit : Orange with leaves on a white background

Dairy free alternative

 
After using orange Juice last week to make a cake, I started to wonder what else it could be used for. When I gave up all foods that contain dairy due to my IBS (Lactose Intolerant), I started to use soya milk as a substitute.  I never really though of using fruit juice as a replacement. 

Orange juice is naturally sweet so also meant I didn't really need to add any extra sugar to the dishes I made.  I started off with Breakfast orange couscous.

Instead of making Couscous will hot water or stock, I heated up some orange juice with dried cranberries and spices instead.  Once hot I added the Couscous and turned the heat down.  Then left covered to allow the couscous to absorb the liquid. 



I ate it for Breakfast topped with soya yogurt and sliced almonds.  You could definitely taste the orange, for me it was a bit too much.  

Next experiment Orange Breakfast porridge.  Decided to use 50 % Orange juice & 50 % Water this time to make the porridge, so the flavour was less intense. 

For more inspiration try Sweet Couscous

I wouldn't recommend mixing orange juice and non diary milk, as it may curdled.  Stirring soya yogurt into your porridge after it's cook, will give it the same creamy taste.

I'm old school and make my porridge with water and a pinch of salt.  Then I go totally non traditional by topping it with fruit and soya yogurt.  I just love the contrast between the 2 flavours. 

Using only 50% orange juice as the liquid worked great.  The porridge had a lovely fresh orange taste with out being overpowering. 

Made the third Orange juice experiment this morning.  I made a baked chocolate orange rice pudding.  Using an old recipe from my grandma's old cook book.  Felt like a mad scientist making this one.....



I'm a curious cook, I like to see if things work.  Chocolate and orange are a great flavours together, and they make a great rice pudding.

Sharabelle's Chocolate Orange rice pudding

1 1/2 oz Short grain pudding rice 
1/2 pint fresh orange juice
1/2 pint water mixed with 3 tsp's Dairy free Coco Powder
1/2 tsp Mixed spice
1 tbsp Brown sugar ( White would work as well)

Place all the ingredients in a casserole dish, cover and bake in your oven at 150 Celsius for 1.5 - 2hrs.

Stir once half way through the cooking time.  Leave to cool slightly before serving.

This would be a great dessert or weekend breakfast treat for a lactose intolerant chocolate lover. 

 
If your not keen on orange, why not experiment yourself with your favourite fresh orange juice xx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding