body

I love Digestive Biscuits

 
Homemade digestive Biscuits

Cookies are good but there not really my favourite, where as I love Digestive Biscuits.  A good old fashion plain biscuit, firm enough to be dunked into a cup of tea or hot chocolate. 

They were originally made with bicarbonate of Soda, which gave them digestive properties.  Perfect for someone with IBS xx

We might speak the same language, however there are big dialect differences between, American and British English.  And there's a big cultural difference in what the term Biscuit means.


American English   = A biscuit is a savoury scone like baked good that is often topped with sausage gravy.

British English = A Biscuit is a semi sweet wholemeal cookie like baked good, that is firm enough to be used as a cracker. 

Each region of Britain has it's own dialect of English, why should the rest of the world be any different.....

Digestives and Wheat

 
For a light lunch I used to like Digestive biscuits topped with slices of Cheddar cheese.  The sweetness of the wholemeal was a great contrasts for the cheddar cheese mmm.

Since becoming lactose and yeast intolerant Biscuits and Cheese, including Vegan Dairy free cheese has been off the menu.  However recently I discovered that McVities Light Digestive Biscuits, had no dairy products added.  Removing the milk must be how they make them lower in calories.  I don't really care about the calories, I just care that I can buy my favourite biccy again.

Yesterday I ran out of them. The easy things to do would be to go to the shop to buy more.  I not really know for doing things the easy way. I had wholemeal flour in the cupboard so decided to try making a homemade vegan version.


As you can see, mine look nothing like the original.  But that's the whole point of recipe testing.  Figure how not to make something first, so you can do it right next time. 

I used an oil based biscuit recipe, rather than one using vegan butter.  Next time I plan to cut down on the oil it made the dough too wet. I thought resting it in the fridge for an hour, would allow the wholemeal flour to absorb the liquid and make the dough firmer.  Didn't work out that way.

Apart from the look, the taste and texture are nearly there.  Next time I really need to make them smaller, so they go crispier in the oven. 

The recipe is still a Work in progress, so it's not ready to be posted yet. 

What's your favourite Biscuit/Cookie and why?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding