body

Accidental chocolate cake - dairy free


 Mini Chocolate Loaf cake


How too accidentally make a cake?  

I accidentally made mini chocolate loaf cakes today.   It was an accident, as Id originally planned to test a chocolate glaze recipe.  Which didn't really turn out as Id expected.  Instead of a chocolate glaze, it looked and tasted more like a chocolate syrup.

I'm not even a fan of chocolate cake!!! I prefer to pair it with other flavour's,  like my Dairy free Orange cup cakes.   Ironically Id made the cupcakes, to use up some egg yolks left over from making meringues.

So instead of a lovely chocolate glaze to compliment my lovely orange cakes, I was left with a syrup.  Which I had no idea what to do with.  As a syrup it's great, I just don't really need any chocolate syrup at the moment.


Fresh Orange wacky cupcakes 
-dairy free


Food Waste Mission:

My new years resolution was to reduce my personal food waste.  Rather than putting any failed recipes in the garbage bin, I now try to change them into something else.  So my chocolate syrup became mini chocolate cake's.

I thought that the syrup recipe would work well in a Wacky Cake recipe.  Wacky because it contains no butter or eggs.  The cakes rise due to a chemical reaction between Bicarbonate of soda and the vinegar.  It really works and produces a lovely light cake.

I made the recipe as normal and added the syrup too it.  Then baked in my new mini loaf tins, which i love.  There non stick, so as long as I oil them before pouring in the batter they turn out perfectly without the need for loaf tin cases.


No idea what I'm going to do with them,
but personally I think they turned out beautifully.

In case you want to make your own dairy free chocolate syrup Iv posted the recipe below.  

Chocolate Syrup Recipe

1/2 Cup Golden syrup  (Or use your favourite)
1/2 Cup Coco Powder
1/4 Cup Water
1 tsp Lemon juice
Pinch of salt

- Place all the ingredients into a bowl and place over a pan of simmering water.  Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.

- Whisk the ingredients together, then stir occasionally till the mixture thickens.  Remove from heat and allow to cool in the bowl too Room Temp.  Keep stored in the fridge.



Happy baking xxx





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding